Calculating Electric Field Components for Discrete Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the x and y components of the electric field at the origin due to two test charges located in the x-y plane. The given data is converted and equations are used to solve for the components of the electric field. However, the direction of the electric field is incorrect as it should be pointing towards a negative charge and away from a positive charge. This can be used as a consistency check to determine if the calculations are correct.
clb399

Homework Statement

Two test charges are located in the x–y plane. If q1 = -3.50 nC and is located at x = 0.00 m, y = 0.680 m and the second test charge has magnitude of q2 = 3.60 nC and is located at x = 1.00 m, y = 0.650 m, calculate the x and y components, Ex and Ey, of the electric field, , in component form at the origin, (0,0). The Coulomb Force constant is 1/(4π ε0) = 8.99 × 109 N·m2/C2.

Homework Equations

E=Kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I converted all of the given data.
q1= -3.5x10^-9 C
q2= 3.6x10^-9 C
r1=.680
r2=sqrt(1.1926)
angle=33degrees using tan^-1(.650/1)

Then I solved for E1y since it is entirely in the y direction:
E1y= K(-3.5x10^-9)/(.680)^2= -68.05

Then solved the x and y components of E2
E2x= K(3.6x10^-9)/(1.1926)^2(cos(33)) = 22.76
E2y= K(3.6x10^-9)/(1.1926)^2(sin(33))= 14.78

Then:
E1y+E2y
E2x
This is my newest answer that I've come up with but all of them have been wrong. I'm not sure what I'm missing or what's going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field should be pointing the same direction as the force on a positive test charge. You can use this as a consistency check.

Is something else than the direction wrong? It would help us spot your error if you provided the answer from the solutions manual.

I do not have a solutions manual, this is an online assignment. And what direction is wrong?

clb399 said:
I do not have a solutions manual, this is an online assignment. And what direction is wrong?

Both, the field of a negative charge should be pointing towards it and that of a positive away from it as a negative charge would attract and a positive repulse a positive test charge.

What would the directions change? I have no idea how that helps me in the problem. I understand what you're saying, I just don't see how it applies.

Related to Calculating Electric Field Components for Discrete Charge Distribution

1. What is a discrete charge distribution?

A discrete charge distribution refers to a collection of individual point charges that are separated by a non-zero distance. This distribution can be described using the positions and magnitudes of the individual charges.

2. How is a discrete charge distribution different from a continuous charge distribution?

A continuous charge distribution is a theoretical concept where the charges are spread out over a continuous region of space, while a discrete charge distribution consists of isolated point charges. In reality, all charge distributions are discrete, but in some cases, a continuous distribution can be used as an approximation.

3. What is the electric field of a discrete charge distribution?

The electric field of a discrete charge distribution is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each point charge. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law and is a measure of the force that another charge would experience at any given point in space.

4. How does the distance between charges affect the electric field of a discrete charge distribution?

The electric field of a discrete charge distribution decreases with distance from the charges. As the distance increases, the individual electric fields produced by each charge become weaker and the overall electric field becomes more spread out.

5. How is the potential energy of a system affected by a discrete charge distribution?

The potential energy of a system with a discrete charge distribution is determined by the positions and magnitudes of the individual charges. The closer the charges are to each other, the higher the potential energy of the system will be. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the charges are allowed to move freely.