Calculating Diver Velocity and Maximum Height in a 3.0m Board Dive

In summary, a diver with an initial speed of 1.7 m/s from a 3.0 m board reaches the water after 0.98 seconds with a velocity of 3.06 m/s. To find the highest point above the water, the formula v^2(t) - v^2(0) = 2a(d(t) - d(0)) can be used, where v is the velocity, a is the acceleration, and d is the distance. This formula can also be derived from the conservation of energy approach.
shawonna23
A diver springs upward with an initial speed of 1.7 m/s from a 3.0 m board.

a. Find the velocity with which he strikes the water. (Hint: When the diver reaches the water, his displacement is y = -3.0 m (measured from the board), assuming that the downward direction is chosen as the negative direction.)

b. What is the highest point he reaches above the water?

I tried using this equation, but my answer was wrong. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Part a:
d=v*t + 1/2 at^2
-3.0=1.7t + 1/2(-9.80)t^2
4.9t^2 - 1.7t -3.0=0
t= 0.98s

v=d/t
v=3/0.98
v=3.06m/s

I didn't do Part b because Part a was wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
When I did this question, I first noticed to use energy. For me, that's more comfortable.
However, your method also is a good method, even better than mine.
t is correctly found.

"v=d/t
v=3/0.98
v=3.06m/s" is wrong.
Try to find out what's the exactly meaning of the v in v=d/t.
You are going to find a particular v but not that one.

For the second question:HINT:Use Galiei's formula,the one with the squares of velocities.

Daniel.

A) Hint: Remember the initial velocity v(0):

[tex]: \ \ \ \ \ v(t) = v(0) + at [/tex]

B) Formula with "velocities squared" is equivalent to Energy approach for constant acceleration "a":

[tex]: \ \ \ \ \ v^2(t) - v^2(0) = 2a(d(t) - d(0)) [/tex]

[tex]: \ \ \ \ \ \frac {mv^2(t)} {2} - \frac {mv^2(0)} {2} = (ma)(d(t) - d(0)) [/tex]

[tex] :: \ \ \ \ \ \Delta K.E. = (Force)(\Delta Distance) [/tex]

~~

Double posting is not allowed...

Daniel.

Related to Calculating Diver Velocity and Maximum Height in a 3.0m Board Dive

What is a "Physics Homework Problem"?

A "Physics Homework Problem" is a question or exercise that requires you to apply the principles and concepts of physics to solve it. It can range from simple calculations to more complex theoretical problems.

How do I approach a "Physics Homework Problem"?

The first step in approaching a "Physics Homework Problem" is to carefully read and understand the question. Then, identify the relevant principles or equations that can help you solve the problem. Make sure to draw diagrams if necessary and show all your work in a clear and organized manner.

What if I get stuck on a "Physics Homework Problem"?

If you get stuck on a "Physics Homework Problem", try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving each part separately. You can also consult your textbook, notes, or online resources for guidance. It's important to keep trying and not get discouraged.

Do I need to memorize all the equations for "Physics Homework Problems"?

No, you do not need to memorize all the equations for "Physics Homework Problems". It's more important to understand the concepts and how to apply them. However, it can be helpful to have a list of commonly used equations for reference.

How can I check if my answer is correct for a "Physics Homework Problem"?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure it satisfies all the given conditions. It's also a good idea to double-check your calculations and units. If possible, you can ask a classmate or your teacher to review your work and provide feedback.