Calculating distances with an elliptical orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses using machine learning and a n-body simulator to work on a side project involving the solar system. The coordinates and orbits of two bodies are given, and the question is posed whether it is possible to determine the coordinates of one body at any point along its orbit. The answer suggests using Kepler's third law to find the period and angular velocity of the body and using the law of cosines to calculate the separation distance between the two bodies at a given time.
iLoveBigData
Wasn't sure exactly what the title of this post should be.

Working on a side project using machine learning and the solar system (using n-body simulator).

Let's say I have two bodies with coordinates:
Code:
Body1: x=-1.42790218981 y=1.4003882805 z=0.0
Body2: x=0.983274588755 y=0.0477301860159 z=0.0

and their respective orbits are:

Code:
B1: a=2.00000001449 e=7.84859710126e-09 inc=0.0 Omega=0.0 omega=2.75273162508 f=-0.386809335815

B2: a=1.36522588428 e=0.41230308113 inc=0.0 Omega=0.0 omega=1.24417006229 f=-1.19566606343

Can I figure out the coordinates of Body2 anywhere along the orbit? I'm trying to find how the smallest distance between the two bodies if they continue pursuing their orbits?

Please let me know if I need to clear up some details.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Assuming you know the mass of the central star you can easily find the period and angular velocity of B2 using Kepler's third law. Unless masses B1 and B2 are very big, you can probably neglect these. This will allow you to find the coordinates of B2 after some time t seeing as you know the orbits. Of course you can do the same for B1.

If you want to find the separation distance rs between the two bodies at a given time. Then I might calculate position of B1 and B2 using polar coords, i.e. r1 = r(θ1) and r2 = r(θ2) where θ is angular displacement. then use the law of cosines
rs2 = r12 + r22 - 2r1r2cos(θ21). perhaps this will work.

Related to Calculating distances with an elliptical orbit

1. How do you calculate the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit?

The distance of an object in an elliptical orbit can be calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit.

2. Can the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit change over time?

Yes, the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit can change over time. This is because the shape and size of an elliptical orbit can vary depending on the gravitational pull of other objects in the system.

3. How does the eccentricity of an elliptical orbit affect the distance of an object?

The eccentricity of an elliptical orbit refers to how elongated the orbit is. The closer the eccentricity is to 1, the more elongated the orbit is and the larger the distance between the object and the focus of the ellipse will be.

4. Can you calculate the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit using only its orbital period?

Yes, you can calculate the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit using only its orbital period. This is because of Kepler's Third Law, which relates the orbital period and the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit.

5. How does the distance of an object in an elliptical orbit affect its speed?

The distance of an object in an elliptical orbit affects its speed through Kepler's Second Law, which states that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the focus of its elliptical orbit and slower when it is farther away.