Calculating Distance and Magnification for Two Lenses | Homework Example

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to find the distance of an image and the magnification in a two-lens system. The first lens has a focal length of 20cm and the second lens has a focal length of 25cm. The image is located 15cm in front of the first lens and the distance between the two lenses is 70cm. The calculated values for the distance of the image of the second lens and the magnification are negative, indicating a virtual image. The question is whether to use the equation again through the first lens or directly through the second lens. The expert summary concludes that the path of light matters and the equation should be used directly through the second lens.
bob778111

Homework Statement

I don't have the exact problem, but I have a sample that I made demonstrating my question:

There are two lens, the first of focal length 20cm and the second of focal length 25cm. the image is located 15cm in front of the first lens, and the distance between the two lens is 70cm.
Find the distance of the image of the second lens, and the magnification.

Homework Equations

1/f=1/di+1/do
m=-di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

after calculating using 1/20=1/15+1/di, the di comes out to be -60cm.

70-(-60)=130=position of object for second lens

1/25=1/130+1/di, the di is ~30.95

magnification of first lens: -(-60/15)=4
magnification of second lens: -(30/130)=-3/13

magnification of both=-3/13*4=-12/13

But my question is: the di of the first lens came out to be negative, signifying that the image is on the same side as the object, and is virtual. Do i use the 1/f=1/di+1/do equation one more time through the first lens with positive 60 because it goes through the first lens again to get to the second lens, or do I use it directly through the second lens? Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
But my question is: the di of the first lens came out to be negative, signifying that the image is on the same side as the object, and is virtual. Do i use the 1/f=1/di+1/do equation one more time through the first lens with positive 60 because it goes through the first lens again to get to the second lens, or do I use it directly through the second lens? Thanks for any help
No - what matters is the path the light travels and light does not come from the virtual image - that's why it is virtual.

Related to Calculating Distance and Magnification for Two Lenses | Homework Example

1. How do I calculate the distance between two lenses?

To calculate the distance between two lenses, you will need to use the lens formula: 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length of the first lens, u is the distance from the object to the first lens, and v is the distance from the second lens to the image. Rearrange the formula to solve for v, and then add the distance from the first lens to the second lens to find the total distance between the two lenses.

2. What is the magnification of two lenses?

The magnification of two lenses is the ratio between the size of the image produced by the second lens and the size of the object being viewed. It can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two lenses by the distance from the first lens to the object. This will give you the magnification of the first lens. Then, multiply this by the magnification of the second lens to find the total magnification of the two lenses.

3. Can you use the same formula for calculating distance and magnification for any type of lens?

Yes, the lens formula and magnification formula can be applied to any type of lens, including convex, concave, and compound lenses. The only difference may be the values for focal length and object/image distances, which will vary depending on the type of lens being used.

4. How does the distance between two lenses affect the magnification?

The distance between two lenses directly affects the magnification. As the distance between the lenses increases, the magnification will decrease. This is because a larger distance requires the image to be viewed at a smaller angle, resulting in a smaller apparent size. Therefore, to increase magnification, the distance between the lenses should be decreased.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate the distance and magnification for multiple lenses?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the distance and magnification for multiple lenses. Simply apply the formula separately for each pair of lenses, using the distance between the previous lens and the next lens as the object distance for the next calculation. Then, multiply all the individual magnifications together to find the total magnification for all lenses.