Calculating Displacement and Distance for Vertical Motion Problems

In summary, the first problem involves finding the distance moved in the 3rd second of a ball thrown vertically upwards, which is 2.5m. The second problem involves finding the particle's greatest displacement from O and the distance it moves during the first 2 seconds. The greatest displacement is (32/27)m and the total distance traveled is 2.5m. However, the displacement at t=2 and t=3 are not the same, so the distance traveled is actually the sum of the differences between the two displacement values at these points.
lionely

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically upwards and its height after t s is s m where
s= 25.2t - 4.9t2
Find the distance moved in the 3rd second

2. At the instant from which time is measured a particle is passing through O and traveling towards A along the straight line OA. It is s m from O after t s where
s= t(t-2)2

What is the particle's greatest displacement from O, and how far does it move, during the first 2 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 25.2(3)-4.9(9) = 31.5m

Is the answer not 31.5m? But my book has a different answer.

2. For the greatest displacement I believe it is (32/27)m
but for the displacement after the first 2 seconds I'm not sure, cause if I put it in the formula for s I'll get 0.

Help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What answer does your book have? The third second sounds like it could mean between t=2 and t=3, in which case the answer would be s3 - s2.

2. Greatest displacement should be the point where the particle stops and turns around, in other words, the point where the speed is 0, which should be 32/27. For the second part, I believe it is asking the overall distance traveled by the particle, not the net displacement (e.g. if you run around a 400m track, you will have run 400m but your net displacement will be 0 since you are at the same position you started at).

To find total distance travelled, find the critical points of your velocity (where s' = 0), plug t into s for each point, and take the sum of the differences between every two points. In other words:

Distance = (Distance b/w points 0 & 1) + (Distance b/w points 1 & 2) + ... + (Distance b/w points n-1 & n)
Distance = |S1 - S0| + |S2 - S1|

for 1 the answer is 2.5m

lionely said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically upwards and its height after t s is s m where
s= 25.2t - 4.9t2
Find the distance moved in the 3rd second

2. At the instant from which time is measured a particle is passing through O and traveling towards A along the straight line OA. It is s m from O after t s where
s= t(t-2)2

What is the particle's greatest displacement from O, and how far does it move, during the first 2 s?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. 25.2(3)-4.9(9) = 31.5m

Is the answer not 31.5m? But my book has a different answer.

2. For the greatest displacement I believe it is (32/27)m
but for the displacement after the first 2 seconds I'm not sure, cause if I put it in the formula for s I'll get 0.

Help is greatly appreciated.

1) Your 31.5 m is the displacement at t = 3, not the distance moved between times t=2 and t=3.

2) Yes, s(2) = 0, but the particle travels out and back, so has traveled a finite, nonzero distance.

BTW: in 2), there is no greatest displacement from zero, since s(t) → ∞ as t → ∞. Perhaps the question put an upper bound on t?

No there's no upper bound that's all of the preamble to the question.

Okay. Yes, #1 wants the distance traveled from t=2 to t=3. The net displacement is .7m, but there is a critical point between 2 and 3 where s' = 0. As per my above post, first find the critical point and then add the absolute values of the distance traveled before and after the critical point.

I'm sorry I don't fully understand between the 2nd and 3rd second there's a point when displacement is 0? I should find that and then add to the .7?

No, there's a point where the velocity, s' (ds/dt), is zero. This is a critical point where velocity changes sign and the ball turns around (when the ball reaches its highest point and starts falling back towards earth). Plugging in t doesn't tell you how far the ball has traveled, it only tells you where the ball is at that point in time. To find out how far the ball actually traveled, you have to add up the distances that the ball traveled between the boundary and critical points.

|distance 1| + |distance 2| where distance 1 = scritical point - s2 and distance 2 = s3 - scritical point

So the I subtract the the values of s for when t=3 and t=2
I got from the max height(32.4m)

32.4-31.5(t=3) = 0.9 and 32.4-30.8(t=2)= 1.6
and then add them and that's the distance traveled 2.5m?

All of this makes the 3rd second? Hm..

Related to Calculating Displacement and Distance for Vertical Motion Problems

What is a rate of change?

A rate of change is a mathematical concept that measures the speed at which one variable changes in relation to another. It is also known as a slope or gradient.

How is rate of change calculated?

The rate of change is calculated by finding the difference between two values of a variable and dividing it by the difference in the corresponding values of another variable. This can be represented as "change in y / change in x" or (y2-y1) / (x2-x1).

What are some real-life examples of rate of change?

Some real-life examples of rate of change include calculating the speed of a car, the growth rate of a population, and the rate of change in temperature over time.

Why is rate of change an important concept in science?

Rate of change is an important concept in science because it allows us to analyze and understand how variables are related and how they change over time. This helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about natural phenomena.

What are the different types of rate of change?

The two main types of rate of change are average and instantaneous. Average rate of change is calculated over a specific interval, while instantaneous rate of change is calculated at a specific point in time. Other types of rate of change include constant, increasing, decreasing, and non-linear rates of change.