Calculating Detection Distance of Superconducting Gravity Meter

In summary, a superconducting gravity meter can detect changes in gravity as small as 1x10^-11 (delta g)/g. In order to determine how close a 78kg person can get to the meter before it detects a change in g, the concept of gravitational field must be used. The gravitational field is equal to G(M)/r^2, where M is the mass of the Earth. In this case, the mass of the person approaching the meter must be used instead of the Earth's mass. When solving for r, using g = 1x10^-11 and M = 78kg, the answer may be incorrect due to other factors not accounted for.
Gammage

Homework Statement

A superconducting gravity meter can measure changes in gravity of the order = 1×10-11 (delta g)/g. You are hiding behind a tree holding the meter, and your 78 kg friend approaches the tree from the other side. How close to you can your friend get before the meter detects a change in g due to his presence?
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

I know that Fgrav = G (m1m2)/r^2 and G = 6.672e-11 Nm^2/kg^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to assume the m2 was 1kg and set the Fgrav = 1e-11 N, but this was wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using the equation that describes the force between two objects due to gravity. What a gravity meter detects is variance in the gravitational field. What physics do you know of the gravitational field?

Very Little

I don't think we have discussed yet in class, let me check the book for any references. This is a first year Mechanics course for natural science majors.

Hmm, there is a very brief explanation in the chapter we are in showing that the field is equal to G(M)/r^2, which is simular to what i did before but this would give me N/kg, do i factor his mass in again to get some cancelations?

The gravitational field is basically the acceleration due to gravity and is given by

[tex] g =G\frac{M}{r^2}[/tex]

where M is the mass of the Earth. In this question you will essentially need to work out how far away the 78kg (i.e. use his mass instead of the Earths) guy has to be to have an acceleration toward him due to his own gravity of 1x10-11 ms-2.

the 1x10^-11 is mentioned in the problem as delta g divided by g. when I set g = 1x10^-11 and M = 78kg, and solved for r the answer is wrong.

Related to Calculating Detection Distance of Superconducting Gravity Meter

1. What is a gravity meter problem?

A gravity meter problem refers to a situation in which a gravity meter, a scientific instrument used to measure the strength of gravity, is experiencing errors or inaccuracies in its readings. This can be caused by various factors such as environmental conditions or technical malfunctions.

2. How does a gravity meter work?

A gravity meter works by measuring the acceleration of a falling mass. It contains a mass or a spring that is suspended and allowed to fall freely. The time it takes for the mass to fall a certain distance is measured, and this is used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity at that location.

3. What are the common sources of error in gravity meter readings?

Some common sources of error in gravity meter readings include temperature changes, air pressure changes, and instrument malfunctions. These factors can affect the accuracy of the readings and must be carefully monitored and accounted for.

4. How can a gravity meter problem be solved?

The solution to a gravity meter problem depends on the specific cause of the issue. In some cases, it may be resolved by calibrating or adjusting the instrument. In other cases, the source of error may need to be identified and addressed, such as maintaining a constant temperature or pressure in the environment.

5. What are some applications of gravity meters?

Gravity meters are commonly used in various fields such as geology, mining, and oil exploration. They can also be used to study changes in the Earth's gravitational field, which can provide insights into the structure and composition of the planet's interior. In addition, gravity meters are used in space exploration to study the gravitational fields of other celestial bodies.