Calculating Density of Helium Gas at Different Temperatures

In summary, at 0 degrees Celsius, helium gas has a density of 0.179 kg/m^3. However, as the temperature is raised to 100 degrees Celsius, the pressure remains constant, and the gas becomes an ideal gas. The new density of the gas is .131 kg/m^3.
laker88116
The density of helium gas at 0.0 degrees C is 0.179 kg/m^3. The temperature is then raised to 100.0 degrees C, but the pressure remains constant. Assuming that helium is an ideal gas, calculate the new density of the gas.

Ok, so far i figure that since P is constant, I would need to work with v1/t1=v2/t2. I converted temperatures into kelvin (273 and 373 respectively), so I have gotten to v1/273k=v2/373k. How do I find volume for the first or second situation, and how do I use it to find density?

Thanks, David

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: If the volume doubled, how would that affect the density? (Now figure out by what factor the volume changes in this case.)

well since density is mass divided by volume, assuming that mass is constant, (which i think it is since the premise is that its an ideal gas), they are inversely related so like if volume is doubled, density is halved, but how does that help?

ok i did v1/v2=t1/t2, then i substituted 22.4/p1 for v1 and 22.4/p2 for v2, since p=m/v and v=m/p, then i said (22.4/.179)/(22.4/p2)=273/373, and i solved for p2 to get .173 kg/m^3, is that how its done?

It does,because you can use the relation:[tex] V=\frac{m}{\rho} [/tex]...U need to plug this relation in the gas law...For each of the 2 cases/values of volume.

Daniel.

laker88116 said:
ok i did v1/v2=t1/t2, then i substituted 22.4/p1 for v1 and 22.4/p2 for v2, since p=m/v and v=m/p, then i said (22.4/.179)/(22.4/p2)=273/373, and i solved for p2 to get .173 kg/m^3, is that how its done?

No,the problem has no reference to any value of pressure,nor volume...So you can't use any of those numbers... :wink:

Daniel.

i meant p as rho for density

hmm I am not seeing this at all

"p"is for pressure...[tex] \frac{V_{1}}{T_{1}}=\frac{V_{2}}{T_{2}} [/tex] (1)

[tex] V_{1}=\frac{m}{\rho_{1}}[/tex] (2)

[tex] V_{2}=\frac{m}{\rho_{2}} [/tex](3)

Use these three relations to get a connection between [itex] \rho_{1} [/itex] and [itex] \rho_{2} [/itex]...

Daniel.

v=1/p but i said that, i said that they were inversely related if mass is constant

laker88116 said:
[itex]\rho_2 = (V_1/V_2) \rho_1 = (T_1/T_2) \rho_1 [/itex]

Doc Al said:
[itex]\rho_2 = (V_1/V_2) \rho_1 = (T_1/T_2) \rho_1 [/itex]
Thats how i did it though, it yields the same answer.

laker88116 said:
Thats how i did it though, it yields the same answer.
If you did what I suggested, you would not end up with 0.173 kg/m^3 as the new density. (Not sure what you did, but your answer is incorrect.)

hmm what did u get then?

laker88116 said:
hmm what did u get then?
Take the formula I gave in post #11 and plug in the numbers.

density=(273)/(373) * .179 = .131

laker88116 said:
density=(273)/(373) * .179 = .131
Right. (Assuming proper units.)

Related to Calculating Density of Helium Gas at Different Temperatures

1. What is the equation for calculating density of helium gas at different temperatures?

The equation for calculating density of helium gas at different temperatures is: density = (mass of gas)/(volume of gas). This equation can be used to calculate the density of helium gas at any given temperature.

2. How do you measure the volume of helium gas?

The volume of helium gas can be measured using various methods, such as a graduated cylinder, a gas syringe, or a gas burette. These tools allow for accurate measurement of the volume of gas at a specific temperature and pressure.

3. Does the temperature of helium gas affect its density?

Yes, the temperature of helium gas does affect its density. As temperature increases, the volume of the gas also increases, causing the density to decrease. This is because the particles in the gas gain more energy and move further apart, resulting in a lower density.

4. How does the ideal gas law relate to calculating the density of helium gas at different temperatures?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, can be used to calculate the density of helium gas at different temperatures. By rearranging the equation to solve for density, the equation becomes: density = (nRT)/(V), where n is the number of moles of gas, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

5. Can you calculate the density of helium gas at any temperature using the ideal gas law?

Yes, the ideal gas law can be used to calculate the density of helium gas at any temperature. However, it is important to note that the ideal gas law assumes that the gas behaves ideally, which may not always be the case. In certain situations, other factors may need to be considered when calculating the density of helium gas at different temperatures.