Calculating Density of a Planet Based on Close Orbit Satellite Period

In summary, a satellite in a circular orbit very close to the surface of a spherical planet with a period of 1.94 hours has an angular velocity of 8.99E-4. The density of the planet can be found by using the relation between the radius and mass of the planet, which can be determined from the orbit, and then converting it into a density.
kopinator
A satellite is in a circular orbit very close to the surface of a spherical planet. The period of the orbit is 1.94 hours. What is density of the planet? Assume that the planet has a uniform density.

density = kg/m^3
T = 2∏/ω = 2∏r/v
GMm/r^2 = (mv^2)/r
v^2 = GM/r
v = rω

So I know I need to find the radius and the mass of the planet in order to find the density. Since I don't have r or v I found ω=8.99E-4. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the radius or mass (which is a surprising result, I think). Just use r and M, and you will find some relation between those two (based on the orbit). This can be converted into a density afterwards.

Likes PaperAirplane

Related to Calculating Density of a Planet Based on Close Orbit Satellite Period

What is a close orbit around a planet?

A close orbit around a planet refers to a path or trajectory in which a spacecraft or object orbits around a planet at a relatively small distance from its surface.

How close is considered a close orbit around a planet?

The distance of a close orbit around a planet can vary depending on the planet's size and gravitational pull. Generally, a distance of less than 1000 kilometers (620 miles) from the planet's surface is considered a close orbit.

What are the benefits of a close orbit around a planet?

A close orbit around a planet allows for more detailed and accurate observations of the planet's surface and atmosphere. It also allows for easier access to collect samples or perform experiments on the planet.

What are the challenges of a close orbit around a planet?

One of the main challenges of a close orbit around a planet is the potential for the spacecraft or object to be affected by the planet's gravity and atmosphere. This can cause changes in the orbit and make it difficult to maintain a stable trajectory.

What types of spacecraft or objects can have a close orbit around a planet?

Any spacecraft or object with enough propulsion and control systems can have a close orbit around a planet. This includes satellites, probes, and manned spacecraft.