Calculating Curvature of Space-Time for a Body of Mass

• Thread starter Enos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space-time
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation for calculating the curvature of a body of mass, specifically the Earth. The person mentions a known value for the sun's curvature and how they can use that to calculate the Earth's curvature. Another person offers the appropriate constants and deflection formula for calculating the Earth's curvature using the sun's value as a reference.
Enos
What equation do you use to find the curvature a body of mass creates? I know the answer for the suns mass is 1.75 arc-seconds. So if I took the g of the sun and divided it by the g of the Earth and divided 1.75 arc-seconds by the ratio of the g difference would I get the Earth's curvature. Which is about 0.0626 arc-seconds from what I'm doing.

If I knew the formula that is used to get the answer for the sun things would be so much easier. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're mixing them up.That 1.75 arcseconds is the angle of deflection of a ray of light in passing through Sun's Schwarzschild field.

You can compute for Earth,simply inserting the appropriate constants into the deflection formula.It's approximately 3300 times less.

Daniel.

Can you share the appropriate constants and the deflection formula? :)

Sure.

[tex] \Delta\phi=4\frac{G m_{source}}{c^{2}R_{rource}} [/tex]

Source:M.Carmeli,"Group Theory and General Relativity",McGraw-Hill,1977,p.155.

Daniel.

Thank you. :)

Related to Calculating Curvature of Space-Time for a Body of Mass

1. What is curved space-time?

Curved space-time is a concept in physics that describes the idea that the fabric of space and time is not flat, but rather can be bent or curved by the presence of massive objects. This is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How does curved space-time affect objects?

Objects in curved space-time will follow curved paths due to the influence of gravity. The more massive an object is, the more it will bend the fabric of space-time, and the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. Can we observe curved space-time?

Yes, we can observe the effects of curved space-time through the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. This is when light from distant objects is bent by the gravitational pull of massive objects, causing them to appear distorted or magnified.

4. Is curved space-time related to the expansion of the universe?

Yes, the concept of curved space-time is closely related to the expansion of the universe. In fact, the theory of general relativity predicts that the universe is expanding due to the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of matter and energy.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding curved space-time?

Yes, understanding curved space-time is crucial for making accurate predictions in astrophysics and cosmology. It also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology, where the curvature of space-time must be taken into account for precise location tracking.