Calculating Current Through Resistor - Help Needed!

In summary, the formula for calculating current through a resistor is I = V/R, the resistance of a resistor can be determined by using a multimeter or reading the color bands, the same formula can be used for any type of resistor, the unit of measurement for current is ampere (A), and there is a limit to the current that can pass through a resistor, determined by its power rating.
Cyrad2
Hi all,
I need to find the current through a resistor knowing the # of electrons passing through it over a given time, t. Can someone help me out with this?
I thought it was just I = #elec/time, but this cannot be right (i'm getting values along the lines of 1.5E19 Amps)

Thanks,
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
This got helped out in college help just a little while ago.

1 Amp = 1 Coulomb/Sec
{Electron Charge} = 1.602x10^(-19) Coulombs

~~

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Current Through Resistor - Help Needed!

1. What is the formula for calculating current through a resistor?

The formula for calculating current through a resistor is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do I determine the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be determined by using a multimeter or by reading the color bands on the resistor and using a color code chart to interpret the value.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate current through any type of resistor?

Yes, the formula for calculating current through a resistor is applicable to any type of resistor, whether it is a fixed or variable resistor.

4. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is ampere (A), which is equivalent to one coulomb of charge passing through a point in one second.

5. Is there a limit to the current that can pass through a resistor?

Yes, there is a limit to the current that can pass through a resistor. This limit is determined by the power rating of the resistor, which is the maximum amount of power the resistor can safely handle without overheating or being damaged.