Calculating Copper Density: Is My Bar Pure?

In summary, the conversation discusses the density of a 1-pound copper bar and how it compares to the actual density of copper. The individual measured the volume of the bar using two methods and found a density of 9.745 g/cc, which is 8% higher than the actual density. They question whether the bar is pure copper or if it is mixed with another denser metal. The conversation also raises the possibility of error in the volume measurement and discusses the difficulties of accurately measuring the volume of physical objects.
CuriousMister
I recently bought a 1-pound .999 fine copper bar. I was curious to know how closely the density of my bar was with the actual density of copper (about 8.96 g/cc). My bar measured 1 pound .5 oz (467.76 g). I calculated the volume two ways, water displacement and measurement; the volume is 48cc. Therefore the density is calculated as 9.745 g/cc (467.76/48). Why is my bar denser than the actual density of copper. It makes me think the bar isn't pure, but is mixed with another denser metal. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
8% deviation.
How precisely did you measure the volume?

Can you measure the apparent weight of the copper bar when submerged in water and held up by a rope?

There probably is significant error in volume calculation. If the volume was 52 mL instead of 48 mL, the density would be very close to the actual density. On second thought, my volume displacement measurement was probably less than the least measurable quantity on the graduated cylinder I used.

Oooh. Fun.

First of all, please note that you can only claim that your density is ## 9.7 \frac{g}{c^3} ## on account that your volume only has two significant figures.
I'd have to agree that it's like an error in volumetric evaluation. It's pretty difficult to measure the volume of physical objects. Is the bar a perfect rectangular solid, and what was the resolution of instrument to measure length? Using fluid displacement would be the way to go, but even then do you have a flask that can measure extremely fine gradations in the change of volume? Putting it in a standard measuring cup and estimating would easily create a deviation. Describe how you arrived at your volumetric measure.

Related to Calculating Copper Density: Is My Bar Pure?

1. How do I calculate the density of copper?

To calculate the density of copper, you will need to know the mass and volume of the copper sample. Then, divide the mass by the volume to get the density. The formula is: Density = Mass/Volume.

2. Why is it important to calculate the density of copper?

The density of copper can provide valuable information about the purity and quality of the copper sample. It can also be used to identify different types of copper alloys and determine their suitability for various applications.

3. How do I determine if my copper bar is pure?

To determine the purity of your copper bar, you will need to calculate its density and compare it to the known density of pure copper (8.96 g/cm3). If the calculated density is close to the known density, then the bar is likely pure.

4. Can I use a regular scale to measure the mass of my copper bar?

Yes, a regular scale can be used to measure the mass of your copper bar. However, for more accurate results, it is recommended to use a scale that measures in grams or milligrams.

5. What is the unit of measurement for copper density?

The unit of measurement for copper density is grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3). This means that for every cubic centimeter of copper, there are a certain number of grams of mass.