Calculating Cooling Load for Water Tank on Building Roof?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of cooling load for a 5 cubic meter water tank exposed to sun and installed on a building roof. The user is considering insulating the tank and is seeking help with their calculation, which resulted in a heat transfer rate of 37.62 kW/hr. They are questioning if this is a reasonable number and are asking for help in selecting the correct cooling coil for the water tank.
gaber2611
Hello everybody,

I have been here before, with different username and cause i didn't log into long time ago, the username doesn't work for m now, so here i am with the new user.

Just as a respect for the forum rules, to not post a topic once i register.

i am doing cooling load calculations, for cooling a 5 cubic meters volume water tank, drains 1000l/day, exposed to sun, installed on building roof, to cool water from 55 to 25 celcuis degrees, working hours of the coil is 12hrs during the day.

i am thinking to insulate the tank, so solar heat gain won't be taken into account for cooling load, and it will be only the heat transfer between the water and fereon cooling coil, which can be calculated using the formula:

q= m*c*delta t

i calculated it, and the result didn't make sense to me, so i need your help with the calculation result.
will appreciate your reply, as i am in urgent need to do that work.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you're calculating is the heat transfer rate of the water to change the temperature from 55 to 25 degrees C. What doesn't it make sense? It'd be helpful if you gave us the calculation that you did. If you wanted to incorporate other factors it will require other relations.

Thanks vadar for your reply,

here is my calulations,which doesn't make sense to me:q= m * c * delta T
= (1*5)grams * 4.18 j/g.C * 30 C.
= 627 J (watt/sec.) , = 627*60 w/hr ,= 37.62 kw/hr.
1 TR = 3.5 kw, then q= 10.75 TR.

does this make sense to you?, when you buy a heat pump with that capacity?,isn't it too big?, or i did something wrong?,if wrong, what are the relations or procedures to select the right cooling coil for that water tank?

anyone to help?

Related to Calculating Cooling Load for Water Tank on Building Roof?

What is cooling load calculation?

Cooling load calculation is a process used to determine the amount of cooling required to maintain a comfortable temperature in a specific space. It takes into account factors such as the size and layout of the space, the materials used in construction, and the climate of the area.

Why is cooling load calculation important?

Cooling load calculation is important because it helps to ensure that the cooling system installed in a space is properly sized and able to provide the necessary cooling capacity. This can help to prevent issues such as discomfort, high energy bills, and equipment failure.

What factors are considered in cooling load calculation?

In cooling load calculation, factors such as the size and orientation of the space, insulation levels, number of occupants, lighting and equipment heat gain, and outdoor climate are taken into account. These factors can have a significant impact on the amount of cooling needed.

How is cooling load calculated?

Cooling load is typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the factors mentioned above. This formula, known as the heat balance method, uses equations to calculate the amount of heat being gained or lost in a space and then determines the appropriate cooling capacity needed to offset that heat.

Who performs cooling load calculation?

Cooling load calculation is typically performed by engineers or HVAC professionals who have knowledge of building design and thermal dynamics. They use specialized software and calculations to accurately determine the cooling load for a specific space.