Calculating Contact Forces Between Three Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, on a frictionless horizontal surface, three blocks with masses of 10.0 kg each are in contact with each other. A force of 96.0 N is applied to block A. The force of contact that each block exerts on its neighbor can be determined by dividing the applied force by the total mass of the blocks, which results in a force of 3.2 N. This means that block A exerts a force of 64 N on block B, while block B exerts a force of 32 N on block C. However, this can also be expressed as the sum of forces on each individual block, with the reaction force from block B on block A being equal and opposite to the force of
robvba

Homework Statement

Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with each other. A force F is applied to block A (mass mA ). If mA=mB=mC=10.0 kg and F = 96.0 N, determine the force of contact that each block exerts on its neighbor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a=96/(10+10+10)=3.2N

contact force between mA and mB: 96-3.2*10=64
contact force between mB and mC: 3.2*10=32 or 64-3.2*10=32

did i solve this right?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
robvba said:
a=96/(10+10+10)=3.2N

contact force between mA and mB: 96-3.2*10=64
contact force between mB and mC: 3.2*10=32 or 64-3.2*10=32

Hi robvba! :smile:

Correct result … and it looks like you got it the right way, but I'm not sure.

This is a Newton's second law problem … you really shouldn't talk about the "force between" two bodies … each equation should only concern the forces on a particular body. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi robvba! :smile:

Correct result … and it looks like you got it the right way, but I'm not sure.

This is a Newton's second law problem … you really shouldn't talk about the "force between" two bodies … each equation should only concern the forces on a particular body. :smile:

thank you. you're right. it's force of contact that each block exerts on it's neighbor. which would mean that block mA exerts a force of 64N on block mB while block mB exerts an equal and opposite force back; so mA = -mB. is that a fair statement?

robvba said:
thank you. you're right. it's force of contact that each block exerts on it's neighbor. which would mean that block mA exerts a force of 64N on block mB while block mB exerts an equal and opposite force back; so mA = -mB. is that a fair statement?

erm … I don't think you mean mA = -mB, do you?

I was thinking more of mass times acceleration = sum of forces …

you know the acceleration of block A, so the sum of forces on block A is … , and so the reaction force from block B on block A is … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
erm … I don't think you mean mA = -mB, do you?

I was thinking more of mass times acceleration = sum of forces …

you know the acceleration of block A, so the sum of forces on block A is … , and so the reaction force from block B on block A is … ? :wink:

right. i meant Fba = - Fab (Force of A on B = negative Force of B on A)...?

Related to Calculating Contact Forces Between Three Blocks on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is a contact force?

A contact force is a force that occurs when two objects come into direct physical contact with each other. This type of force can either be attractive or repulsive, and is caused by the interaction between the surfaces of the two objects.

2. How does a contact force differ from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, such as gravitational or electromagnetic forces, contact forces require physical contact between two objects in order to occur. These forces also act perpendicular to the surface of contact between the two objects.

3. What are the three blocks in a Three Blocks Contact force?

The three blocks in a Three Blocks Contact force refer to three separate objects that are in contact with each other, creating a triangular shape. These blocks are typically labeled as block A, block B, and block C, with each block exerting a contact force on the adjacent blocks.

4. How is the magnitude of a Three Blocks Contact force calculated?

The magnitude of a Three Blocks Contact force is calculated by adding together the individual contact forces exerted by each block on the adjacent blocks. This is known as vector addition, where the direction and magnitude of each force must be taken into account.

5. What are some real-life examples of Three Blocks Contact forces?

Examples of Three Blocks Contact forces can be seen in situations where three blocks or objects are stacked or connected together, such as a tower of blocks or a cart being pushed by two people on either side. These forces can also be observed in sports, such as when a soccer player passes the ball to a teammate with their foot.