Calculating Compton Shift of X-Ray at 300KeV, 37°

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Compton scattering of X-rays with an energy of 300KeV from a target, detected at a 37 degree angle. The question is posed on how to find the Compton shift at this angle, and it is determined that the frequency and wavelength of the X-ray are needed. The formula E=h(nu) is mentioned, with "nu" representing frequency, and it is clarified that frequency is related to wavelength. The conversation then concludes by discussing the calculation for the energy of the scattered X-ray.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have a problem saying:

X-rays having an anergy of 300KeV undergo Compton scattering from a target. The scattered rays are detected at 37 degrees relative to the incident rays. Find the (a) Compton shift at this angle.

Now i have the angle.. but i figure i need the wavelength of the X-ray. How do i get that?

p.s. still in intro classes :D

Physics news on Phys.org
E = h (nu)... does that look familiar?

If it was in an intro E/M course... then no lol

There's a formula equating the energy to the frequency multiplied by a constant, "h". The frequency has a really close relation to the wavelength.

So, what, Energy = Plancks constant * (nu)? Whats nu?

greek letter that's used for a symbol for "frequency"

Oh, we just use f so that's cool :D

Haha gold, always nice to know my brain just shut itself off while overlooking E=hf (found it in the same chapter i was doing problems from).

Is the frequency 7.25 x 10^19?

Ok ok it looks right i hope :D. So now it asks

(b) Find the energy of the scattered x-ray

Is that the E=hf ?

Related to Calculating Compton Shift of X-Ray at 300KeV, 37°

1. How do you calculate the Compton shift of an X-Ray at 300KeV and 37°?

The Compton shift can be calculated using the formula Δλ = h / mc (1 - cosθ), where Δλ is the change in wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and θ is the angle between the incident X-ray and the scattered X-ray.

2. Why is it important to calculate the Compton shift of X-Rays?

Calculating the Compton shift allows us to understand the interactions between high-energy photons and electrons, which is crucial in fields such as medical imaging and material science. It also helps us to better understand the properties and behavior of X-rays.

3. What is the significance of using 300KeV and 37° in the calculation?

The energy of the incident X-ray, 300KeV, and the scattering angle, 37°, are important parameters in the calculation because they determine the magnitude of the Compton shift. A change in either of these values will result in a different Compton shift.

4. How does the Compton shift of X-rays at 300KeV and 37° differ from other energies and angles?

The Compton shift varies depending on the energy of the incident X-ray and the scattering angle. A higher energy X-ray or a larger scattering angle will result in a larger Compton shift. Therefore, the Compton shift at 300KeV and 37° may be different from other values.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of the Compton shift?

Yes, apart from the energy of the incident X-ray and the scattering angle, other factors such as the type of material the X-ray is interacting with, the density of the material, and the atomic number of the material can also impact the calculation of the Compton shift. These factors may cause variations in the results.