Calculating c/a ratio for h.c.p

• Thread starter mate1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation suggests that the ideal c/a ratio for a hexagonal close packing unit cell is 1.633, and the atomic packing factor is not a useful approach to demonstrate this. Instead, the individual should focus on understanding 3d geometry and visualize the HCP unit cell with spherical atoms. They are also advised to consider the position of the centroid of an equilateral triangle.
mate1000
iv been asked to show that the ideal c/a ratio for a hexagonal close packing unit cell is 1.633. The only thing i could come up with was to do with the atomic packing factor. where i get (4/3pi^2r*6) / (3a*2r*c). Am i heading in the right direction or am i way off course. If I am way off would anyone be able to give me a hand?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The packing factor isn't useful. This is simply a question of 3d geometry. Draw a picture of the HCP unit cell with spherical atoms and start there.

Hint: What do you know about the position of the centroid of an equilateral triangle?

Your approach using the atomic packing factor is a good start. The c/a ratio in a hexagonal close packing structure can be calculated by considering the coordination number of the atoms. In a hexagonal close packing structure, each atom is surrounded by 12 nearest neighbors in the same plane and 6 nearest neighbors in the adjacent planes. This gives a total coordination number of 18.

The atomic packing factor is defined as the total volume occupied by the atoms in a unit cell divided by the total volume of the unit cell. In a hexagonal close packing structure, the volume occupied by the atoms can be calculated as (18 x volume of one atom). The total volume of the unit cell can be calculated as (a^2c/2), where a is the length of the side of the hexagon and c is the height of the unit cell.

Putting these values into the atomic packing factor equation, we get:

Atomic packing factor = (18 x volume of one atom) / (a^2c/2)

We can also express the volume of one atom in terms of its radius, r, as (4/3 x pi x r^3). Substituting this into the equation, we get:

Atomic packing factor = (18 x 4/3 x pi x r^3) / (a^2c/2)

Now, we know that the ideal atomic packing factor for a hexagonal close packing structure is 0.74. So, we can set this value equal to the atomic packing factor equation and solve for the c/a ratio:

0.74 = (18 x 4/3 x pi x r^3) / (a^2c/2)

Rearranging, we get:

c/a = (18 x 4/3 x pi x r^3 x 2) / (a^2 x 0.74)

Simplifying, we get:

c/a = 1.633 x (r/a)^3

Since the radius of an atom is typically much smaller than the length of the side of the hexagon, we can approximate (r/a)^3 to be very close to 0. So, we can conclude that the ideal c/a ratio for a hexagonal close packing structure is approximately 1.633.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Calculating c/a ratio for h.c.p

1. What is the c/a ratio for h.c.p?

The c/a ratio for h.c.p (hexagonal close-packed) structures is equal to the ratio of the height (c) to the length of the side (a) of the hexagonal unit cell. This ratio is typically denoted as c/a or sometimes as h.

2. How do you calculate the c/a ratio for h.c.p?

The c/a ratio for h.c.p can be calculated by dividing the height of the hexagonal unit cell by the length of one side. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by taking the inverse cosine of the angle between the c-axis and the a-axis, as these two axes form a right angle in h.c.p structures.

3. What is the significance of the c/a ratio in h.c.p structures?

The c/a ratio is an important structural parameter that describes the shape and symmetry of h.c.p structures. This ratio can determine the density, stability, and mechanical properties of these structures, as well as their response to external forces and temperature changes.

4. What is the typical c/a ratio for h.c.p metals?

The c/a ratio for h.c.p metals can vary depending on the specific metal and its crystal structure. However, on average, the c/a ratio for h.c.p metals falls between 1.58 to 1.74. For example, the c/a ratio for h.c.p titanium is 1.587, while for h.c.p cobalt it is 1.633.

5. How does the c/a ratio change with temperature in h.c.p structures?

The c/a ratio in h.c.p structures can change with temperature, as thermal expansion can cause the unit cell dimensions to expand or contract. Generally, as temperature increases, the c/a ratio decreases due to the expansion along the a-axis being greater than the expansion along the c-axis.