Calculating Bending Moments with UDL's

Based on the given equations, it seems that the maximum transverse shear stress can be found at the point of maximum bending moment. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate and plot the bending moment diagram. In summary, to find the maximum transverse shear stress, first solve for the reactions at A and B, then work out the bending moments from both the left and right hand sides using the given equations. Finally, plot the shear and bending moment diagrams to accurately determine the maximum shear stress at the point of maximum bending moment.
mm391

Homework Statement

The T-beam is loaded as shown in Figure attached Find the maximum transverse shear stress at the location of the maximum bending moment.

Homework Equations

Forces in Y direction = 0 for it to be in equilibrium
Moments about a point = 0 for it to be in equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

Ra = Reactions at A
Rb = Reactions at B

ƩForces in Y direction = Ra - 20kN - (8)(3) + Rb
ƩForces about Ra = 20*2+((8*3)*4.5)-Rb*6

Rb = 24.6kN
Ra = 19.4kN

Now I tried to work out the bending moments from the left hand side:

1> Ra*x = 19.4x
2> 19.4x -20(x-2) = 0.6x-40
3> 19.4x-20x-40+((8(x-4)^2)/2)

Are these right? Do I also need a moment for Rb if so how would I include it? Do I work it out from the right hand side. If so how, as I have been trying but can't figure it out.

Thanks

Attachments

• Bending Moment.jpg
    Bending Moment.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 831
Physics news on Phys.org
Try working out the shear diagram first. Once you have that, the bending moment diagram should follow easily.

Related to Calculating Bending Moments with UDL's

1. How do I calculate the bending moment for a uniform distributed load (UDL)?

To calculate the bending moment for a UDL, you will need to use the formula M = wL^2/8, where M is the bending moment, w is the UDL in N/m, and L is the length of the beam in meters.

2. Can I use the same formula to calculate the bending moment for a UDL on a cantilever beam?

Yes, the formula M = wL^2/8 can be used to calculate the bending moment for a UDL on a cantilever beam as well. However, make sure to adjust the value of L accordingly, as it will be the distance from the support to the end of the beam.

3. What units should I use for the UDL and beam length in the formula for bending moment?

It is important to use consistent units throughout your calculation. The UDL should be in N/m and the beam length should be in meters. If your UDL is given in kN/m, make sure to convert it to N/m before using the formula.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating bending moment for a non-uniform distributed load?

No, the formula M = wL^2/8 is only applicable for UDLs. For non-uniform distributed loads, you will need to use the formula M = ∫ (wx)dx, where w is the varying load in N/m and x is the distance from the support in meters. This integral can be evaluated using calculus.

5. Is there a maximum bending moment that a beam can withstand?

Yes, every material has a maximum bending moment it can withstand before it fails. This is known as the bending moment capacity or the moment of resistance. The bending moment capacity for a beam can be calculated using the formula M = σbZ, where σb is the bending stress and Z is the section modulus of the beam.