Calculating Average Pressure for Tank Thrust

In summary, to work out the average pressure on the horizontal thrust of an oil tank, you can use the formula pressure=density*height*acceleration. The average pressure is half the maximum pressure and the resultant force acts at 1/3 the height of the tank. The pressure distribution varies linearly with depth and the resultant force acts perpendicular to the wall at the centroid of the pressure distribution triangle.
Parsifal1
I need to work out average pressure in order to work out horizontal thrust on an oil tank. I know that pressure=density*height*acceleration, although I want to know what 'top' and 'bottom' surfaces refer to. There is a tank filled with liquid, to a given depth and the height of the tank is given. So how do I work out the average pressure? Do I just sub in the to heights? The depth of the liquid and the height of the tank?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I meant add them together and divide by to, not sub in two pgh.

Since the pressure linearly increases with height, and the pressure at the top of the fluid is zero, the average pressure is half the maximum pressure (see link). The resultant force occurs at 1/3 the height of the tank, acting at the centroid of the "force triangle" which describes the pressure as a function of height.

http://www.savannahstate.edu/cost/eng-tech/faculty/jayjan2010/jay/hehslidec2.htm

SavannahState.edu said:
The pressure will vary from zero at the surface to (r g h) at the bottom of the wall. The pressure distribution (varying linearly with depth) will be as shown in figure above.

The total resultant force per unit length of wall = average pressure x area = pavg x h x 1

Average pressure = (r g h)/2

Therefore, Resultant force = F = (r g h)/2 x h x 1 = 1/2 {r g h2}

The resultant force acts perpendicular to the wall at the centroid of the pressure distribution triangle, at a distance of h/3 from the bottom of the wall.

vertplane.gif

Related to Calculating Average Pressure for Tank Thrust

1. What is the formula for calculating average pressure for tank thrust?

The formula for calculating average pressure for tank thrust is Pressure = Force / Area. This means that the average pressure is equal to the force applied on the tank divided by the area of the tank's surface.

2. Why is it important to calculate average pressure for tank thrust?

Calculating average pressure for tank thrust is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to propel the tank forward. This information is crucial for designing and operating tanks, as well as for understanding the potential effects of thrust on the tank's structure and surroundings.

3. How do you measure the force and area for calculating average pressure for tank thrust?

The force can be measured using a force gauge or a dynamometer, while the area can be measured using a ruler or by calculating the surface area of the tank's base and sides. It is important to ensure that the force and area measurements are in the same unit of measurement for accurate calculations.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average pressure for tank thrust?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated average pressure for tank thrust. These include the shape and size of the tank, the distribution of force on the tank's surface, and any external forces acting on the tank.

5. Can the average pressure for tank thrust change over time?

Yes, the average pressure for tank thrust can change over time. This can be due to changes in the tank's weight, shape, or external forces acting on it. It is important to regularly recalculate the average pressure to ensure the tank is operating within safe and efficient parameters.