Calculating Angular Momentum when Radius Changes for 2s

If we are given the acceleration vector as a = (4,3) and we know that the block moves 6m/s after 2 seconds, then we know that it moves along a path defined by the equation:r = (4/2)t2 + (3/2)t2Using the defintion of angular momentum and the formula for the moment of inertia of a point mass, we can easily calculate:L = I * ω = (1/2)(2kg)(6m/s)(6m/s) = 36kg·m2/sSo, in summary, using the given acceleration vector and the distance traveled in 2 seconds, we can calculate the angular momentum of the block about the origin
MathewsMD
26. A 2.0-kg block starts from rest on the positive x-axis 3.0 m from the origin and thereafter has an acceleration given by a = (4.0 m/s2)ˆi (3.0 m/s2)ˆj. At the end of 2.0 s its angular momentum about the origin is:
A. 0
B. (36kg·m2/s)kˆ
C. (+48kg·m2/s)kˆ
D. (96kg·m2/s)kˆ
E. (+96kg·m2/s)kˆ
ans: B

For this question, they essentially did:

L = | r x p |
L = (r)(m)(v)
L = (3m)(2kg)(6m/s) * I calculated v = 6 m/s to be the tangential velocity

Now, I was wondering why they didn't change the radius since it accelerates for 2 seconds. During this time period, it moves across the axis, parallel to the original rotation axis.

Δx = (1/2)(4m/s2)(2s)2 and I added this length to my attempt, but it doesn't seem like the solution did. I was wondering if this is correct or if it's incorrect for future reference...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want comments on the book(?) solution, please post the complete text of that.
But I would have thought the appropriate method here would be a purely vectorial one, which turns out to be very easy.
##\vec {\ddot x} = \vec c##
##\vec { \dot x} = \vec c t + \vec {\dot {x_0}} = \vec c t##
##\vec x = \frac 12 \vec c t^2 + \vec x_0##
##\vec L = m \vec x × \dot {\vec x} = m (\frac 12 \vec c t^2 + \vec x_0)× \vec c t = m \vec x_0 × \vec c t##

Related to Calculating Angular Momentum when Radius Changes for 2s

1. How do you calculate angular momentum when the radius changes for a 2s orbit?

To calculate the angular momentum when the radius changes for a 2s orbit, you will need to use the formula L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the orbit. In the case of a 2s orbit, the velocity can be calculated using the equation v = 2πr/T, where T is the period of the orbit. Once you have all the values, simply plug them into the formula to find the angular momentum.

2. What is the relationship between angular momentum and radius in a 2s orbit?

The angular momentum is directly proportional to the radius in a 2s orbit. This means that as the radius increases, the angular momentum also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula L ∝ r, where ∝ represents proportionality.

3. How does angular momentum change when the radius changes in a 2s orbit?

If the radius of a 2s orbit changes, the angular momentum will also change. This is because the angular momentum is dependent on both the radius and velocity of the orbiting object. As the radius changes, the velocity and consequently the angular momentum will also change.

4. Can the angular momentum be negative in a 2s orbit?

Yes, the angular momentum can be negative in a 2s orbit. This can occur if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the angular momentum vector. However, the magnitude of the angular momentum will still be the same as if it were positive.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in a 2s orbit when the radius changes?

In a 2s orbit, angular momentum is conserved when the radius changes. This means that the total angular momentum of the object remains constant, even as the radius and velocity change. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum law, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.