Calculating Angular Acceleration, Torque, and Work on a Solid Disk

In summary, a solid disk with a mass of 4 kg and a radius of 0.15 m was accelerated from rest to 25 rad/s in 12 seconds. The angular acceleration of the disk was 2.1 rad/s^2, and the torque needed to achieve this was 0.095 N*m. The work done on the disk in this time can be calculated using the formula W = T*θ, where θ represents the angle moved by the disk.
cugirl

Homework Statement

A solid disk starts from rest and is accelerated to 25 rad/s in 12 sec. The mass of the disk is 4 kg and the radius is 0.15 m.

What was the angular acceleration of the disk?

What torque was needed to do this?

How much work was done on the disk in this time?

Homework Equations

I = ½*M*R^2
Torque=F*theta
W= torque*theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular accel => Omega = Omega_initial + at
25 = 0 + a(12)
a=2.1

not sure what to do for the torque or work parts

Physics news on Phys.org
cugirl said:

Homework Statement

A solid disk starts from rest and is accelerated to 25 rad/s in 12 sec. The mass of the disk is 4 kg and the radius is 0.15 m.

What was the angular acceleration of the disk?

What torque was needed to do this?

How much work was done on the disk in this time?

Homework Equations

I = ½*M*R^2
Torque=F*theta
W= torque*theta

The Attempt at a Solution

Angular accel => Omega = Omega_initial + at
25 = 0 + a(12)
a=2.1

not sure what to do for the torque or work parts

Torque is also equal to I * a where I = is the moment of inertia which you already have and the angular acceleration you also have just developed in a).

And there you go. You have the formula for the work. Just do it.

Using I * a, I get [.5*4*.15^2]*2.1 = .095 for torque.

For work, if I plug that in -- .095*25, I don't get one of the multiple choice answers. [This problem set has multiple choice answers.]

cugirl said:
Using I * a, I get [.5*4*.15^2]*2.1 = .095 for torque.

For work, if I plug that in -- .095*25, I don't get one of the multiple choice answers. [This problem set has multiple choice answers.]

W = T*θ

not T*ω.

This link might help you find θ.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#rlin

Related to Calculating Angular Acceleration, Torque, and Work on a Solid Disk

1. What is a solid disk accelerated?

A solid disk accelerated, also known as a solid-state drive (SSD), is a storage device that stores data using flash memory instead of the traditional spinning disks used in hard disk drives (HDDs). This allows for faster read and write speeds, making it an attractive option for high-performance computing.

2. How does a solid disk accelerated work?

A solid disk accelerated stores data by using an array of semiconductor cells that can retain data even when the power is turned off. When data is written to the drive, it is stored in these cells as digital bits. This eliminates the need for moving parts, resulting in faster access times and improved durability.

3. What are the benefits of using a solid disk accelerated?

There are several benefits to using a solid disk accelerated, including faster boot and load times, improved system responsiveness, and increased durability. SSDs also consume less power and produce less heat compared to HDDs, making them more energy-efficient.

4. Are there any downsides to using a solid disk accelerated?

One potential downside of using a solid disk accelerated is the higher cost compared to HDDs. SSDs also have limited write cycles, meaning they can only be written to a certain number of times before they start to degrade. However, advancements in technology have greatly increased the lifespan of SSDs in recent years.

5. Can a solid disk accelerated be used in any computer?

While SSDs are compatible with most computers, it's important to check if your computer's motherboard has the necessary connections for the drive. Some older systems may not have the required connections, but there are adapters available to make them compatible. It's always best to consult with a computer technician before making any changes to your system.