Calculating Angle Between Vectors G & F

In summary, the formula to find the angle between two vectors G and F is G⋅F=|G||F|cosθ, which can also be written as <G,F>=||G|| ||F|| cosθ. This formula applies to all pairs of vectors in real spaces and in an arbitrary inner product space over R. To find the vector G from points A and B in cartesian coordinates, use the formula G=B-A=(Bx-Ax,By-Ay). To find the dot product equation, use the formula G⋅F=(Bx-Ax)(Dx-Cx)+(By-Ay)(Dy-Cy) and for the norm of a vector, use the formula ||v||
dudu3060
I have some question guys

i have four points in the x,y plane in cartesian coordinates.

A (Ax,Ay)
B(Bx,By)

C(Cx,Cy)
D(Dx,Dy)

A and B is vector G
C and D is vector F

I would like to know what is the equation to get the angle between those two vectors (G,F) . and what are the limitations of this equation.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the dot product? The angle ##\theta## between two vectors G and F satisfies ##G\cdot F=|G||F|\cos\theta##.

When we're dealing with vectors in ##\mathbb R^2## or ##\mathbb R^3##, this is a theorem. It holds for all pairs of vectors in those spaces. When we're dealing with an arbitrary inner product space over ##\mathbb R##, we can instead take ##\langle G,F\rangle=\|G\|\|F\|\cos\theta## as the definition of "the angle between G and F". (If you don't know what that means, don't worry about it. These terms are explained in courses on linear algebra). This works because the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality ensures that
$$\frac{\langle G,F\rangle}{\|G\|\|F\|}\leq 1$$ for all G and F.

This isn't a textbook-style question, and it doesn't involve physics, so I'm moving it to linear algebra.

thank you!but..

it is for excel chart.
i don't know how to make the vectors for the equation when i use cartesian coordinate.
i mean how do i make the vector G from A(Ax,Ay) and B(Bx,By)
can someone write it down for me.

thank you !

##G=B-A=(B_x,B_y)-(A_x,A_y)=(B_x-A_x,B_y-A_y)##

sorry again.

How do i make the last one to the dot product equation?

the vector G is not a number now but set of coordinates . again sorry but i am a novice and i need full explanation from start to end

thank you, youre a life saver

the dude

Is this what you mean?
$$G\cdot F=(B_x-A_x,B_y-A_y)\cdot (D_x-C_x,D_y-C_y) =(B_x-A_x)(D_x-C_x)+(B_y-A_y)(D_y-C_y)$$ The norm ##\|v\|## of a vector ##v=(x,y)## is defined by ##\|v\|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##.

Related to Calculating Angle Between Vectors G & F

1. What is the formula for calculating the angle between two vectors?

The formula for calculating the angle between two vectors G and F is given by: cos θ = (G ⋅ F) / (|G| ⋅ |F|), where θ is the angle between the two vectors, G ⋅ F is the dot product of the two vectors, and |G| and |F| are the magnitudes of the two vectors.

2. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors is always positive. The negative sign in the formula for calculating the angle is used to indicate the direction of the angle.

3. How do you calculate the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors G and F is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products. For example, if G = (x1, y1) and F = (x2, y2), then G ⋅ F = (x1 * x2) + (y1 * y2).

4. Is there a difference between calculating the angle between two vectors in 2D and 3D?

Yes, there is a difference in the formula for calculating the angle between two vectors in 2D and 3D. In 2D, the angle is calculated using the inverse cosine function (arccos) of the dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes. In 3D, the angle is calculated using the inverse cosine function of the dot product divided by the product of the magnitudes, multiplied by the sine of the angle between the two vectors.

5. What is the range of values for the angle between two vectors?

The range of values for the angle between two vectors is 0 to 180 degrees. This is because the dot product of two vectors can range from -|G| ⋅ |F| to |G| ⋅ |F|, but the inverse cosine function is only defined for values between -1 and 1, which correspond to 0 and 180 degrees, respectively.