Calculating all possible relations of 2 sets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of subsets in a set and the use of a formula for determining the number of possible relations in a set with a specific number of ordered pairs. The conversation also touches on the concept of 'n' representing the number of elements in a set. The set AXB is mentioned to have 4096 subsets, and the conversation concludes with a question about the number of elements in the set A X B.
silecsm
A={1,3,5}
B={4,6,8,10}
The set AXB that we have been using had 4096 subsets. Why? Can you find a general procedure for calculating the number of possible relations where there are k ordered pairs available?

I don't know how to calculate how many relations there are? The only information I have found so far is about simple sets with limited pairs. And they use a formula something like 2n^2.

I also don't know what 'n' stands for?

Any help appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
silecsm said:
A={1,3,5}
B={4,6,8,10}
The set AXB that we have been using had 4096 subsets. Why? Can you find a general procedure for calculating the number of possible relations where there are k ordered pairs available?

I don't know how to calculate how many relations there are? The only information I have found so far is about simple sets with limited pairs. And they use a formula something like 2n^2.

I also don't know what 'n' stands for?

Any help appreciated :)
I have no doubt that n represents the number of elements in a particular set. Have you seen a formula for the number of subsets in a set with n elements? For example, in the set {1, 2} the subsets are {}, {1}, {2}, and {1, 2}. The empty set and the set itself are always subsets of a given set.

How many elements are in the set A X B?

Related to Calculating all possible relations of 2 sets?

1. How do you calculate the number of possible relations between two sets?

To calculate the number of possible relations between two sets, you can use the formula 2^(n*m), where n is the number of elements in the first set and m is the number of elements in the second set.

2. What does it mean to calculate all possible relations between two sets?

Calculating all possible relations between two sets means determining all the different ways that elements from the first set can be related to elements from the second set. This includes considering all possible combinations and permutations of elements from the two sets.

3. Why is it important to calculate all possible relations between two sets?

Calculating all possible relations between two sets is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the relationships between different elements. It can also help us identify patterns and make predictions based on these relationships.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating all possible relations between two sets?

Real-life applications of calculating all possible relations between two sets include analyzing data in fields such as genetics, social sciences, and market research. It can also be used in decision-making processes, such as selecting the best option from a set of alternatives.

5. What are some techniques for calculating all possible relations between two sets?

Some techniques for calculating all possible relations between two sets include using Venn diagrams, creating tables or matrices, and using mathematical formulas such as the one mentioned in the first question. Computer programs and algorithms can also be used to efficiently calculate all possible relations between two sets.