Calculating Airborne Distance on a Hemispherical Hill

In summary, the skier will leave the surface of the hill and become air-borne at a vertical distance of h = R/3, measured from the top of the hill. The skier will experience a normal force, weight, and cetripetal force, and the skier will have a positive energy.
SABander
Hey, I am new and i am hoping someone can give me a hand. I desperately need assitance on this question and any advice would be great. Thanks
A skier starts at rest on the top of a strange, smooth, icy hill shaped like a hemisphere. The hill has a constant radius of R. Neglecting friction (it is icy!), show that the skier will leave the surface of the hill and become air-borne at a vertical distance of h = R/3, measured from the top of the hill.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My Work

So far i have thought that it could be a circular motion question and find the maximum velocity that the object could go around. But given no numbers i am having trouble. This is what i have so far
E=Mgd
E=MGr
FD=MGr

And that got me no where. Then i tried this approach
(MV^2/r)D=MGR
V^2D=GR^2

PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

At an arbitrory point on the path of the skier, write down the equation of motion. The forces are the normal force, weight, and the cetripetal force.

Conservation of energy should give a second equation.

Remember that the skier will leave the surface when the reaction force (normal force) = 0.

USe this condition to find h.

I think the motion along the hemispherical surface is doing you harm. You write the equation of acceleration by referring to a point on the hemisphere and take the angle made by the radius drawn to that point with the radius drawn to topmost point. Now integrate this acceleration with respect to theta. I think this will provide you the result. Was the explanation out of your head-I don't think so. Reread it once more if you don't undertstand.

Related to Calculating Airborne Distance on a Hemispherical Hill

What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is the joule (J), which is equivalent to one newton-meter (N*m).

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It can come in different forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, etc.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are directly related. Work is the transfer of energy, and energy is what is needed to do work. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F*d*cosθ, where F is the force, d is the distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.