Calculating Acceleration in a Pendulum Swing: Exploring Centripedal Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of centripetal acceleration experienced when swinging a glass of water like a pendulum. It is agreed that the water will experience centripetal acceleration and this will vary depending on the velocity and position of the swing. The question arises about accurately measuring the radius using velocity and centripetal acceleration, but the values do not match up as expected. The conversation ends with a suggestion to measure the acceleration value and ensure it is constant.
Sam Smith
I am curious, when you are swinging your arms back and forth whilst holding a glass of water as you would with a pendulum would it experience centripedal acceleration? I would assume that it would?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. It will experience centripetal acceleration. At the bottom of the swing when your hands are at the greatest velocity, the centripetal acceleration will be greatest. At the top of the swing when your hands come to momentary rest, the centripetal acceleration will be momentarily zero.

Of course there will be back and forth tangential acceleration as well. The water may slosh in the glass.

Sam Smith said:
I am curious, when you are swinging your arms back and forth whilst holding a glass of water as you would with a pendulum would it experience centripedal acceleration?
To move on a circle arc, it must undergo centripetal acceleration.

Yes what is confusing me is that centripedal acceleration = velocity^2/Radius
if you then wnated to use velocity reading in the x direction and centripedal acceleration to find radius ie Velocity^2/centripedal acceleration then the radius would change how can I find the accurate reading for the radius?

Sam Smith said:
centripedal acceleration = velocity^2/Radius
if you then wnated to use velocity reading in the x direction
You have to use the tangential velocity (perpendicular to radius).

I am using that value at various points along the pendulum's path and I am also using the centripedal acceleration at the same points along the pendulum however my values for radius are changing and are not what I would be expecting

Sam Smith said:
I am also using the centripedal acceleration
How did you get it?

Sam Smith said:
my values for radius are changing
If your radius is constant, just measure it with a ruler. The centripetal acceleration must change not the radius.

Yes I have measured with a ruler but if everything is working correctly the above equation should give me the correct value but it doesnt. At the moment I have decided to take the value where velocity is at the greatest so I have taken this instaneous value .^2/acceleration at this angle however, the two values don't match

Sam Smith said:
so I have taken this instaneous value .^2/acceleration at this angle
Again, where did you get the acceleration value from?

Related to Calculating Acceleration in a Pendulum Swing: Exploring Centripedal Forces

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by the inward force acting on the object, known as centripetal force.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. Is centripetal acceleration the same as centrifugal acceleration?

No, centripetal and centrifugal acceleration are not the same. Centripetal acceleration is the inward acceleration towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal acceleration is the outward acceleration away from the center of the circle. Centripetal acceleration is a real force, while centrifugal acceleration is a perceived force due to inertia.

4. What are some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some real-world examples of centripetal acceleration include the motion of a car around a corner, the orbit of planets around the sun, and the spinning of a washing machine during the spin cycle.

5. How does centripetal acceleration relate to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is a necessary component of uniform circular motion. In order for an object to move in a circular path at a constant speed, it must experience a centripetal acceleration towards the center of the circle. Without this acceleration, the object would continue in a straight line tangent to the circle.