Calculating a large toroid's magnetic field

In summary: Yes, the answer should be 1.13 T. Good catch!In summary, the conversation involved calculating the net magnetic field B_net from the given equation. After plugging in the values for B_0 and B_m, it was found that the correct answer is 1.13 T. However, the answer provided was incorrect, as it neglected to divide by 2pi*r when substituting the value for N.
annamal
Homework Statement
A current of 1.5 A flows through the windings of a large, thin toroid with 200 turns per meter and a radius of 1 meter. If the toroid is filled with iron for which ##X = 3\times 10^3##, what is the magnetic field within it?
Relevant Equations
##B_0 = \frac{\mu_0(N)(I)}{2\pi r}##
##B_{net} = B_0 + B_m = (1+X)\times B_0##
##B_0 = \frac{\mu_0(N)(I)}{2\pi r}##
##\frac{N}{2\pi r} = 200##
##B_{net} = B_0 + B_m = (1+X)\times B_0##
Plugging in the numbers:
##B_0 = 4\pi\times 10^{-7}(200)(1.5) = 3.8\times 10^{-4}##

##B_{net} = (1+X)\times B_0 = (1+ 3\times 10^3)\times 3.8\times 10^{-4}## = 1.13 T

But the answers says it is 0.18 T.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
annamal said:
Relevant Equations:: ##B_0 = \frac{\mu_0(N)(I)}{2\pi r}##

annamal said:
##B_0 = 4\pi\times 10^{-7}(200)(1.5) = 3.8\times 10^{-4}##
Looks like you forgot to divide by ##2 \pi r##

TSny said:
Looks like you forgot to divide by ##2 \pi r##
I am given N is 200 turns per meters which should be ##\frac{N}{2\pi r}##, so that should be taken into account with the substitution of 200 in the equation

annamal said:
I am given N is 200 turns per meters which should be ##\frac{N}{2\pi r}##, so that should be taken into account with the substitution of 200 in the equation
You are given 200 which is ##N## not ##\frac{N}{2\pi r}##. Take a good look at the derivation for the field inside a toroid and at what the symbols stand for.

annamal said:
Yes, you are correct! I mistakenly took the 200 to be the total number of turns even though it clearly states "200 turns per meter". Looks like whoever wrote the answers made the same mistake as I did. Sorry about that. I agree with your answer.

Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
You are given 200 which is ##N## not ##\frac{N}{2\pi r}##. Take a good look at the derivation for the field inside a toroid and at what the symbols stand for.
200 is the turns per meter so it should equal n = ##\frac{N}{2\pi r}##

##B_0 = \frac{\mu_0(N)(I)}{2\pi r}## where N is the number of times the toroid is rotated. which means N/Length = 200 where length = ##2\pi r##

TSny said:
Yes, you are correct! I mistakenly took the 200 to be the total number of turns even though it clearly states "200 turns per meter". Looks like whoever wrote the answers made the same mistake as I did. Sorry about that. I agree with your answer.
Me too. Sorry about the confusion.

Related to Calculating a large toroid's magnetic field

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a large toroid?

The magnetic field of a large toroid can be calculated using the formula B = (μ0 * I * N) / (2 * π * r), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the toroid, N is the number of turns in the toroid, and r is the radius of the toroid.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the magnetic field of a large toroid?

The unit of measurement for the magnetic field of a large toroid is tesla (T), which is equivalent to newton per ampere-meter (N/A*m).

3. Can the magnetic field of a large toroid be affected by external factors?

Yes, the magnetic field of a large toroid can be affected by external factors such as the presence of other magnetic fields, the material of the toroid, and the shape and size of the toroid.

4. How does the number of turns in a toroid affect its magnetic field?

The number of turns in a toroid directly affects its magnetic field. As the number of turns increases, the magnetic field also increases. This is because more turns means more current flowing through the toroid, which results in a stronger magnetic field.

5. Is there a maximum limit for the magnetic field of a large toroid?

There is no specific maximum limit for the magnetic field of a large toroid. However, the magnetic field can become too strong and cause the toroid to overheat or even damage the surrounding materials. It is important to carefully calculate and control the current and number of turns to avoid exceeding safe limits.