Calculating 3D Fourier Transform for (1,2,3)

In summary, the speaker is struggling with setting up a 3D Fourier transform for a given function. They are unsure if they need to do a triple integral or convert to spherical coordinates. The expert advises them to simply integrate from -1 to 1 for x, y, and z and explains the relationship between kx and the dot product of k and x.
PianoDentist
Hi, just got set a 3d Fourier transform to solve but I've never seen one before and can't find any examples online. once the integral is set up I should be fine but I'm not sure how to set it up;

What is Fourier transfrom (f(k)) of following 3d function for k=(kx, ky, kz)=(1,2,3)

for f(x,y,z) = 1 if mod(x)<1,mod(y)<1,mod(z)<1 and f(x,y,z)=0 otherwise

Im just struggling how to set up the integral, I assume I have to do a triple integral, but I am not sure whether I have to simply integrate from -1 to 1 for x,y and z (here I am not sure what to do with what's normally e^(-ikx))...or whether I have to convert to spherical co-ordinates.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, just integrate from -1 to 1 for x,y and z. Spherical coordinates wouldn't help. And kx is the dot product of the vector k and the vector x=(x,y,z).

Related to Calculating 3D Fourier Transform for (1,2,3)

1. What is a 3D Fourier Transform?

A 3D Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a three-dimensional function or signal in the spatial domain into a three-dimensional function or signal in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to analyze and manipulate complex three-dimensional data.

2. How do you calculate a 3D Fourier Transform?

The 3D Fourier Transform is calculated by taking the integral of the three-dimensional function over all three spatial dimensions. This integral is then multiplied by a complex exponential function and summed up for all frequencies in the frequency domain. The resulting function represents the transformed signal in the frequency domain.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a 3D Fourier Transform?

The purpose of calculating a 3D Fourier Transform is to analyze and manipulate three-dimensional data in the frequency domain. This allows for easier visualization, filtering, and processing of complex three-dimensional signals.

4. What are the applications of 3D Fourier Transform in science?

The 3D Fourier Transform is widely used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and computer science. It is used in image processing, signal analysis, tomography, and other areas where three-dimensional data needs to be analyzed and manipulated.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating a 3D Fourier Transform?

One example of calculating a 3D Fourier Transform is in medical imaging, where a three-dimensional MRI scan of a patient's brain is transformed into the frequency domain to analyze different brain regions and detect abnormalities. Another example is in computer graphics, where a 3D model of an object is transformed into the frequency domain to apply filters and enhance its visual appearance.