Calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate.

In summary, the person is looking for help in a matter related to thermodynamics. They need to know the initial temperature of the "cold" side of a plate of stainless steel, if the "cold" side is insulated, or if it isn't, how hot the room is, and the heat rate entering the plate from the "hot" side. The person also needs to know how to calculate the temperature on the inside of the plate that is on the box.
ladil
Hello,

I need some help in a matter.
I don´t have any great knowledge in thermodynamics.

If I have a plate of stainless steel (2mm thick).
On one of the sides of the plate the temperature is 400C.

I need to have a "simple" derivated calculation regarding how much the temperature is on the other side after 1 minute. Maybe I can plot the increase in temperature as a function of time.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
IMHO, I would think we have to know at least one of the following to give a solution:

1) the initial temperature of the other "cold" side of the plate
2) if the "cold" side is insulated
3) if it isn't insulated, how hot the room is (giving us an idea of the heat leaving the plate on the "cold" side)
4) the heat rate entering the plate from the "hot" side.

OK.

This plate is a cover for a box so the temperature on the inside of the box is higher than 400C. I have a media (liquid) inside the box that I need to calculate the temperature on the inside of the plate that is on the box.

1. unknown. This is what I want an estimation of.
2. The plate is a cover on a box.
3. I havn´t measured anything like that.
4. I don´t know.

Do you need anything else?

We need to know another temperature somewhere. If the box is in a room with air at, say, 25 degC, then we can try to calculate a convection heat transfer coefficient for free convection and use that in tandem with Fourier's Law of Conduction to get a rough estimate of the temperature of the plate. That's the method I would use.

The box is in a room with air at approx. 25C.
Do you know where I can find some derivations or how to begin?

I havn´t studied thermodynamics, but maybe I can derive something if I just know the start of it and if there any special assumptions to be made.
Thanks.

Related to Calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate.

What does it mean to "calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate"?

Calculating the temperature on the other side of the plate refers to using mathematical equations or experimental data to determine the temperature of a surface that is not directly accessible. This could be the temperature on the opposite side of a solid object or the temperature of a liquid or gas that is not in direct contact with a measuring device.

What factors affect the temperature on the other side of the plate?

The temperature on the other side of the plate is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the plate, the temperature on the side being measured, the ambient temperature, and any heat sources or sinks in the surrounding environment. These factors can all impact the rate of heat transfer and ultimately the temperature on the other side of the plate.

How do you calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate?

The temperature on the other side of the plate can be calculated using various equations and methods, depending on the specific scenario. One common approach is to use the principles of heat transfer, which involve calculating the rate of heat transfer through the plate and using this information to determine the temperature on the other side. Other methods may involve experimental data or computer simulations.

Can the temperature on the other side of the plate be accurately calculated?

In most cases, the temperature on the other side of the plate can be accurately calculated using appropriate equations and methods. However, there may be certain scenarios where factors such as surface irregularities or heat sources/sinks may make it more challenging to accurately determine the temperature. In these cases, careful consideration of all relevant factors and potential sources of error is necessary to ensure accurate results.

Why is it important to calculate the temperature on the other side of the plate?

Knowing the temperature on the other side of the plate is important for various reasons, such as understanding the overall temperature distribution within a system, predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions, and optimizing the design and performance of heat transfer systems. It can also help in identifying potential issues or inefficiencies in a system and finding ways to improve it.