Calculate the temperature for this reaction to occur

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the mean translational kinetic energy using the formula KE = 3/2 R/NA T and how it relates to the temperature and Boltzmann constant. It also brings up the question of why only half of the total kinetic energy of the particles is used to estimate the temperature at which a reaction would occur. The conclusion is that given the average kinetic energy of each particle, the reaction can be expected to occur.
Janiceleong26
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement

image.jpg

Homework Equations

KE = 3/2 R/NA T

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the formula above, I used 2.4 x 10^-14 J as the mean translational KE , but it should be 1.2x10^-14 , why? I thought the mixture contains both deuterium nucleus and the proton? Why half KE of mixture?

Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
View attachment 100665 1. Homework Statement
View attachment 100666

Homework Equations

KE = 3/2 R/NA T

The Attempt at a Solution

By using the formula above, I used 2.4 x 10^-14 J as the mean translational KE , but it should be 1.2x10^-14 , why? I thought the mixture contains both deuterium nucleus and the proton? Why half KE of mixture?
what happens to the particles kept at some temperature-they get energy and start thermal motion - the average K.E. of particles is related to the temp. and Boltzmann Constant.
3/2 is a factor depending on degree of freedom.
so, what amount of energy a particle say proton will get if you are given with Total K.E. of proton and deuterium? that one should find and then apply the energy-temp relation.

Janiceleong26 said:
At a given temperature, how much KE will each particle have? (You have to assume some collisions will be head on.)

drvrm said:
what happens to the particles kept at some temperature-they get energy and start thermal motion - the average K.E. of particles is related to the temp. and Boltzmann Constant.
3/2 is a factor depending on degree of freedom.
so, what amount of energy a particle say proton will get if you are given with Total K.E. of proton and deuterium? that one should find and then apply the energy-temp relation.
haruspex said:
At a given temperature, how much KE will each particle have? (You have to assume some collisions will be head on.)
Half of the total KE, but why? I thought they are asking for the sample? Why do we need to consider KE of just one of them?

Janiceleong26 said:
Half of the total KE, but why? I thought they are asking for the sample? Why do we need to consider KE of just one of them?
They are asking for the temperature at which you would expect the reaction to occur. It doesn't have to occur for all particle pairs immediately. Leaving aside that some will have greater than the average KE, they will be moving in various directions. From the temperature you can find the average KE of any given particle, but the reaction involves two particles. Their relative directions of travel matter. Which case makes them most likely to reach the required KE level?

Janiceleong26 said:

i think the average velocity of a particle in an enclosure at Temp. T may be taken as v(rms) and
1/2 . m(i). v(i)^2 = 3/2 k T ; now one has to check how the total KE will be shared.

drvrm said:
now one has to check how the total KE will be shared.
Not sure what you mean by that. Shared between what?

haruspex said:
Shared between what?

shared between the two kinds of particles namely deuteron and protons.

drvrm said:
shared between the two kinds of particles namely deuteron and protons.
Doesn't the equation in your post answer that?

haruspex said:
Doesn't the equation in your post answer that?
well it does -but the question is being asked as to why half of the total KE of the two (given in the question) is being used for estimating T.

haruspex said:
They are asking for the temperature at which you would expect the reaction to occur. It doesn't have to occur for all particle pairs immediately. Leaving aside that some will have greater than the average KE, they will be moving in various directions. From the temperature you can find the average KE of any given particle, but the reaction involves two particles. Their relative directions of travel matter. Which case makes them most likely to reach the required KE level?
When they collide head-on?
Does it mean that we have to supply 1.2x10^-14 J of energy to both deuterium and the proton for the reaction to start?

Janiceleong26 said:
When they collide head-on?
Does it mean that we have to supply 1.2x10^-14 J of energy to both deuterium and the proton for the reaction to start?
It means that given those average KEs each, you can expect the reaction to start.

Likes Janiceleong26
haruspex said:
It means that given those average KEs each, you can expect the reaction to start.
Ok, got it, thanks very much!

Related to Calculate the temperature for this reaction to occur

1. What is the formula for calculating the temperature for a reaction to occur?

The formula for calculating the temperature for a reaction to occur is the Arrhenius equation, which is T = (Ea/R) * ln(A/k). This equation takes into account the activation energy (Ea), the gas constant (R), the pre-exponential factor (A), and the rate constant (k).

2. How do you determine the activation energy for a reaction?

The activation energy (Ea) can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of the reaction at different temperatures and then using the Arrhenius equation to calculate the Ea value. It can also be estimated by using the slope of the linear portion of an Arrhenius plot.

3. Can you calculate the temperature for any type of reaction?

The Arrhenius equation can be used to calculate the temperature for any reaction that follows first-order kinetics, meaning that the rate of the reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of the reactants. However, for more complex reactions, other factors may need to be considered in addition to temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction?

Increasing the temperature generally increases the rate of a reaction, as it provides more energy for the reactant molecules to overcome the activation energy barrier. This is due to the fact that at higher temperatures, more molecules have enough energy to react, leading to a higher rate of reaction.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the temperature for a reaction to occur?

Aside from the factors included in the Arrhenius equation, there are other factors that can influence the temperature for a reaction to occur. These include the presence of a catalyst, which can lower the activation energy and thus decrease the required temperature for the reaction to occur. The concentration and physical state of the reactants, as well as the pressure and presence of other substances, can also affect the temperature for a reaction to occur.