Calculate the Internal Energy of Monoatomic Gas

In summary, the equation states that the internal energy of a monatomic gas must be equal to the sum of the individual energies of its atoms. The equation can be solved using the Chain Rule of Derivatives, which states that the total energy of a system is the sum of the energies of its individual parts.
themagiciant95

Homework Statement

Re-arranging the equations of potential (internal) energy in a monoatomic gas, i get this differential equation:

[tex]\gamma (dV/V ) + (dP/P) = 0.[/tex]
where V is volume and P is pressure.
I have to integrate it.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried, but i wasnt able to understand how (and why) is it possible to integrate an equation with different functions and different differentials in it. My intuition tells me : just integrate ! , but i don't know why does it works...

Physics news on Phys.org
yes it seems to work in this form, use that ##\int \frac{dV}{V}=lnV-lnV_0=ln\frac{V}{V_0}## and similar for the other term with P. Its because the differentials and the denominators are for the same variable (V or P) so integration works and gives the logarithmic function as result.

Likes QuantumQuest
Delta was faster, but:
Well, what do you get when you
themagiciant95 said:
just integrate

Likes Delta2
That's very nice.
In this case P and V are functions of which variables ?

They are independent variables. Solving the differential equation gives you a relationship between the two.

What did you get when you 'just integrate'd ?

[tex]\gamma ln V + ln P = lnC[/tex]

Why ##\log C## and not ##C## ?

Because it's more comfortable to write ##P\;V^\gamma = C \quad ## :smile:

Likes themagiciant95
How is it possible to integrate independent variables ? I always integrated functions. I am sorry , but i can't clearly understand.
A friend suggested me to try a "dummy variable" in order to parametrize U,V,P . But i didnt find anything explaining on the web about this...

Last edited:
themagiciant95 said:
How is it possible to integrate independent variables ? I always integrated functions. I am sorry , but i can't clearly understand.
A friend suggested me to try a "dummy variable" in order to parametrize U,V,P . But i didnt find anything explaining on the web about this...

You can write P,V as functions of a dummy variable t, that is P=P(t) , V=V(t). Then the differentials dP and dV will become ##dP=P'(t)dt##, ##dV=V'(t)dt## so at the end you ll integrate both functions ##\frac{P'(t)}{P(t)},\frac{V'(t)}{V(t)}## with respect to the dummy variable t. The end result will not change due to the chain rule of derivatives, we ll have for example ##\int \frac{V'(t)}{V(t)}dt=lnV(t)+C##.

Likes QuantumQuest and BvU
Thanks so much. Do you know where i can find some theoric math materials about "integration of independent variables" (just as this case) ?

Sorry I can't recommend English books, I just use my textbooks from my undergrad studies 20 years ago, which are written in greek :D...

Likes themagiciant95
I hope I didn't confuse you with my post #5, I called both variables independent and then continued with 'solving the differential equation gives you a relationship between the two'.

That isn't as contradictory as it seems: it means theat there is only one degree of freedom: change P (which you can do) and V changes, and vice versa: change V (which you can also do) and P changes.

If you replace one of the two by a ##y## and the oher by an ##x## you are close to textbook material on differential equations. Your own familiar and trusted calculus book is probably the best place to freshen up your skills.

Likes QuantumQuest

Related to Calculate the Internal Energy of Monoatomic Gas

1. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system that includes the kinetic and potential energy of its molecules or particles.

2. How is internal energy calculated for a monoatomic gas?

The internal energy of a monoatomic gas can be calculated using the formula U = (3/2) * nRT, where U is the internal energy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. What is the difference between internal energy and enthalpy?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, while enthalpy is the energy of a system plus the work done on or by the system. In other words, enthalpy takes into account the energy exchanged between the system and its surroundings.

4. How does temperature affect the internal energy of a monoatomic gas?

According to the ideal gas law, if the volume and number of moles of a gas remain constant, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in internal energy. This is because the kinetic energy of the gas molecules increases with temperature.

5. Can the internal energy of a monoatomic gas change?

Yes, the internal energy of a monoatomic gas can change through various processes such as heating or cooling, compression or expansion, or chemical reactions. These processes can cause a change in the temperature, volume, or number of moles of the gas, resulting in a change in its internal energy.