Calculate the integral ∫(tanx+cotx)(tanx/(1+cotx))^2dx.

• MHB
  • Thread starter lfdahl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, an integral is a mathematical concept used to find the total value of a function over a given interval by representing the area under a curve in a graph. There are two types of integrals: definite and indefinite. The basic process for calculating an integral is to rewrite the expression in terms of known functions and use integration rules and techniques. For the specific integral ∫(tanx+cotx)(tanx/(1+cotx))^2dx, the key steps include expanding the numerator, simplifying the expression, and using substitution and integration by parts. Common mistakes to avoid when solving this integral include not properly expanding or simplifying the expression, using incorrect substitution or integration by parts, and forgetting to include a constant of integration in
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Calculate the integral:

\[I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\left(\tan x + \cot x \right)\left ( \frac{\tan x}{1 + \cot x} \right )^2dx.\]

A solution without the use of an online integral calculator is preferred. :cool:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
lfdahl said:
Calculate the integral:

\[I = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\left(\tan x + \cot x \right)\left ( \frac{\tan x}{1 + \cot x} \right )^2dx.\]

A solution without the use of an online integral calculator is preferred. :cool:
$-2+3 ln2 $

Last edited:
Albert said:
-2+3 ln2 (hope no miscalculation)

My mistake! Your result is correct!
Please show your integration steps. Thankyou.

Last edited:
lfdahl said:
My mistake! Your result is correct!
Please show your integration steps. Thankyou.
my solution:
with transformation $y=tan(x),dy=sec^2(x)dx$
$$I = \int_{0}^{\dfrac{\pi}{4}}\left(\tan x + \cot x \right)\left ( \dfrac{\tan x}{1 + \cot x} \right )^2dx.$$
we have:
$$I=\int_{0}^{1}(\dfrac{1+y^2}{y})\times\dfrac {y^4}{(1+y)^2}\times \dfrac{1}{1+y^2}dy=\int_{0}^{1}\dfrac{y^3}{(1+y)^2}dy$$
$=(\dfrac{y^2}{2}-2y+3ln(1+y)+\dfrac{1}{1+y})\big|_{0}^{1}=-2+3 ln2$

Last edited:
Albert said:
my solution:
with transformation $y=tan(x),dy=sec^2(x)dx$
$$I = \int_{0}^{\dfrac{\pi}{4}}\left(\tan x + \cot x \right)\left ( \dfrac{\tan x}{1 + \cot x} \right )^2dx.$$
we have:
$$I=\int_{0}^{1}(\dfrac{1+y^2}{y})\times\dfrac {y^4}{(1+y)^2}\times \dfrac{1}{1+y^2}dy=\int_{0}^{1}\dfrac{y^3}{(1+y)^2}dy$$
$=(\dfrac{y^2}{2}-2y+3ln(1+y)+\dfrac{1}{1+y})\big|_{0}^{1}=-2+3 ln2$

Thanks, Albert! - for your participation - and a nice solution.

Related to Calculate the integral ∫(tanx+cotx)(tanx/(1+cotx))^2dx.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. A definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

What is the basic process for calculating an integral?

The basic process for calculating an integral is to rewrite the expression in terms of known functions and then use integration rules and techniques to solve it. The final answer should include a constant of integration.

What are the key steps for solving this particular integral?

The key steps for solving the integral ∫(tanx+cotx)(tanx/(1+cotx))^2dx are to expand the numerator, simplify the expression, and then use substitution and integration by parts to solve. The final answer should include a constant of integration.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this integral include not expanding the numerator, not simplifying the expression, and not using the correct substitution or integration by parts. It is also important to remember to include a constant of integration in the final answer.