Calculate the final velocity of the cart and students

In summary, three Physics 111 AP students, with a mass of 60kg each, climb onto a flatbed cart weighing 120 kg. They take turns running to the opposite end and jumping off with a velocity of 10 m/s relative to the cart. Using the equation m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1v_1 + m_2v_2, the final velocity of the cart and students with respect to the earth can be calculated. However, because the mass of the cart decreases with each jump, the change in velocity must be calculated separately for each student and then summed up to find the total change in velocity. This problem is similar to a rocket problem, where
TheShapeOfTime
Three Physics 111 AP students, each having a mass of 60kg, climb onto a large flatbed cart that has a mass of 120 kg. Standing at one end and taking turns they run to the opposite end and jump off, one immediately following the other, each with a velocity of 10 m/s with respect to the cart. Calculate the final velocity of the cart and students with respect to the earth.

I know I need to use [itex]m_1v_1 + m_2v_2 = m_1v_1 + m_2v_2[/itex], and I have done a bunch of simpler problems with no trouble. I'm pretty sure this has to be done in steps but I'm not sure how to incorporate the answer of each step into the next. I have something like this for the first step:

[tex]60 \cdot 0 + 120 \cdot 0 = 60 \cdot 10 + 120(v + 10)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Read integral's post.

Last edited:
I believe that this problem is a bit more subtle, it is essentially a rocket problem. The mass of the "cart" does not remain constant. As each student jumps it becomes less massive, thus each successive student will cause a larger change in velocity.
after the first student jumps the carts velocity will change by:
[tex] v_c = \frac {m_1 V_1} {m_2 + m_3 + m_c}[/tex]

Repeat for each student and sum the changes to get the total change.

Related to Calculate the final velocity of the cart and students

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of the cart and students?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of the cart and students is Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of the cart and students?

The initial velocity can be determined by measuring the speed of the cart and students at the beginning of the experiment or by using the equation Vi = (Vf - at)/t, where Vi is the initial velocity, Vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

3. What units should be used for the calculation of final velocity?

The units for the calculation of final velocity will depend on the units used for acceleration and time. If acceleration is measured in meters per second squared and time in seconds, then the final velocity will be in meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the final velocity of the cart and students be negative?

Yes, the final velocity of the cart and students can be negative if the direction of motion is opposite to the direction of the initial velocity. A negative final velocity indicates that the cart and students are slowing down.

5. How does the mass of the cart and students affect the final velocity?

The mass of the cart and students does not directly affect the final velocity as it is not included in the formula. However, a higher mass may require a greater force to achieve the desired acceleration, which could affect the final velocity.