Calculate the extreme value of functional

In summary, we have a functional ##I(y)=\int_{0}^{2}{y}'(2+e^x{y}')dx## with the boundary condition ##y(0)=0##. Using the Euler-Lagrange equation, we obtain the equation ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=C##, where ##C## is a constant. Solving for ##y## using the boundary condition, we find that ##y(x)=e^{-x}-1##.
skrat

Homework Statement

We have functional ##I(y)=\int_{0}^{2}{y}'(2+e^x{y}')dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(0)=0##. Calculate the extreme value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some troubles here... :/

From Euler-Lagrange equation we get ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0## where first part is obviously ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}=0## and the second part tells me that ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=konst.=C##.

So ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=C##

##e^x{y}'=\frac{C}{2}-1=D##, where D is just another constant...

##{y}'=De^{-x}## so

##y=-De^{-x}+E##

Now we know that ##y(0)=0## so ##y(0)=-D+E=0## therefore ##E=D##. The second condition says that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial {y}'}L(2)=0##.

Than ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=0## so ##{y}'=0##.

From ##y=-De^{-x}+E## we get that ##{y}'=De^{-x}##, therefore ##{y}'(2)=De^{-2}=0## and this gives me ##D=0## (remember that ##E=D##).

So everything together tells that ##y## is actually ##y\equiv 0## and also ##I(y)=0##.I seriously doubt that this is right? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

We have functional ##I(y)=\int_{0}^{2}{y}'(2+e^x{y}')dx## where ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(0)=0##. Calculate the extreme value.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having some troubles here... :/

From Euler-Lagrange equation we get ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=0## where first part is obviously ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}=0## and the second part tells me that ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial {y}'}=konst.=C##.

So ##(2+e^x{y}')+{y}'e^x=C##

##e^x{y}'=\frac{C}{2}-1=D##, where D is just another constant...

##{y}'=De^{-x}## so

##y=-De^{-x}+E##

Now we know that ##y(0)=0## so ##y(0)=-D+E=0## therefore ##E=D##. The second condition says that ##\frac{\partial }{\partial {y}'}L(2)=0##.

Where do you get this condition from? All that's stated in the problem is that [itex]y(0)= 0[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] is once continuously differentiable. We know that [itex]\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'} = 2(1 + D)[/itex] is constant, but without more information we cannot determine that constant (although we can choose it such that [itex]dI/dD = 0[/itex]).

Assuming you've omitted that condition from the problem, your error is here:
Than [itex](2+e^xy′)+y′e^x=0[/itex] so [itex]y′=0[/itex].

If [itex]\left.\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'}\right|_{(x=2)} = 2(1 + e^2 y'(2)) = 0[/itex] then [itex]y'(2) = -e^{-2} \neq 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
Where do you get this condition from? All that's stated in the problem is that [itex]y(0)= 0[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] is once continuously differentiable. We know that [itex]\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'} = 2(1 + D)[/itex] is constant, but without more information we cannot determine that constant.

That's something that should be true in general, at least my professor said so. So if one condition ##y(a)=c## is given the other one is ##\frac{\partial }{\partial {y}'}L=0## calculated for ##x=b##. We've probably also proven that.

pasmith said:
Assuming you've omitted that condition from the problem, your error is here:

If [itex]\left.\dfrac{\partial L}{\partial y'}\right|_{(x=2)} = 2(1 + e^2 y'(2)) = 0[/itex] then [itex]y'(2) = -e^{-2} \neq 0[/itex].

You are right. My mistake. Taking that into account, ##D=E=-1## so ##y(x)=e^{-x}-1##.

Related to Calculate the extreme value of functional

1. What is the extreme value of a functional?

The extreme value of a functional is the maximum or minimum value that the function can achieve within a given domain. It represents the peak or lowest point of the function.

2. How do you calculate the extreme value of a functional?

To calculate the extreme value of a functional, you must first take the derivative of the function and find the critical points. Then, plug these critical points into the second derivative to determine if they are maximum or minimum points. Finally, compare the values at these points to determine the extreme value.

3. Can a functional have more than one extreme value?

Yes, a functional can have more than one extreme value. This occurs when the function has multiple critical points and the second derivative is equal to 0 at each of these points.

4. What is the significance of calculating the extreme value of a functional?

Calculating the extreme value of a functional is important in determining the optimal solution to a problem. For example, in optimization problems, finding the maximum or minimum value of a function can help determine the best course of action to achieve a desired outcome.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the extreme value of a functional?

One limitation to calculating the extreme value of a functional is that it only provides information about the function within a specific domain. If the function is undefined or discontinuous at certain points, the extreme value may not accurately represent the overall behavior of the function.