Calculate the energy of the neutrino in the following decay

In summary: Instead, you should have|\vec{p}_{\mu}|^2 = E_{\nu}^2 and that leads to the correct answer.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of stopped pions as a mono-energetic source of neutrinos. It then asks for the energy of a neutrino in the decay of a pion at rest. The correct answer is found to be 30 Mev/c^2 through direct conservation of energy. The mistake made in the attempt at a solution is also pointed out.
pondzo

Homework Statement

Stopped pions provide a useful mono-energetic source of neutrinos. For a pion at rest, calculate the energy of the neutrino in the decay $$\pi^+\rightarrow \mu^++\nu_{\mu}$$ You do not need to consider the subsequent decay of the ##\mu^+## and you can assume that the neutrinos are massless.

The answer is 30 Mev/c^2.

Homework Equations

##m_{\pi^+}=140 \text{ Mev/c}^2;~~~~~~~m_{\mu^+}=106 \text{ Mev/c}^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
In the rest frame of the pion, ##\vec{p}=\vec{p}_{\mu}=-\vec{p}_{\nu}## and in the massless approxiamation ##E_{\nu}|=\vec{p}_{\nu}|\implies |\vec{p}_{\mu}|=E_{\nu}##.

The invariant mass is ##m_{\pi^+}^2##.
##m_{\pi^+}^2 = ((E_{\mu},\vec{p}_{\mu})+(E_{\nu},\vec{p}_{\nu}))^2##
##~~~~~~~=E_{\mu}^2+E_{\nu}^2+2E_{\mu}E_{\nu}-p_{\mu}^2-p_{\nu}^2-2\vec{p}_{\mu}\cdot\vec{p}_{\nu}##
##~~~~~~~=E_{\mu}^2+E_{\nu}^2+2E_{\mu}E_{\nu}-E_{\nu}^2-E_{\nu}^2-0##
##~~~~~~~=E_{\mu}^2-E_{\nu}^2+2E_{\mu}E_{\nu}##
I know that ##|\vec{p}_{\mu}|^2=E_{\nu}^2=E_{\mu}^2-m_{\mu}^2\implies E_{\nu}=\frac{m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2}{2E_\mu}##

So now I just need to get ##E_{\mu}## in terms of things I know. I know ##E_{\mu}=\sqrt{E_{\nu}^2+m_{\mu}^2}##, but now this is seeming cat and mouse.

I tried this:
## E_{\nu}=\frac{m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2}{2E_\mu}##
##2\sqrt{E_{\nu}^2+m_{\mu}^2}E_{\nu}=(m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2)## then square both sides and expand to get:
##4E_{\nu}^2+4m_{\mu}^2E_{\nu}^2-(m_{\pi}^2-m_{\mu}^2)^2=0##

I can then make the substitution ##x=E_{\nu}^2## which results in a quadratic. I can solve this and find the roots using the quadratic equation, but this gives ##E_{\nu}=52.64 ## Mev, which isn't right. I'm not sure why this doesn't give the correct answer and I'm not sure how to get the correct answer, there is probably an easier way.

Physics news on Phys.org
By direct conservation of energy, don't you just have
[tex]m_{\pi} = E_{\nu} + \sqrt{m_{\mu}^2 + E_{\nu}^2}?[/tex]
There's no need to always resort to using invariant quantities and four-vectors when a direct approach is available.

The mistake you made in your calculations is that [itex]\vec{p}_{\mu} \cdot \vec{p}_{\nu} \neq 0[/itex].

Likes TSny

Related to Calculate the energy of the neutrino in the following decay

1. What is a neutrino?

A neutrino is a subatomic particle that has very little mass and no electrical charge. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe and is a key player in the process of nuclear reactions and radioactive decay. It is also extremely difficult to detect because it rarely interacts with other particles.

2. What does it mean to calculate the energy of a neutrino in a decay?

In a decay process, a parent particle breaks down into smaller particles, including a neutrino. The energy of the neutrino refers to the amount of energy that is carried away by the neutrino as it is produced in the decay. This energy can be calculated using various equations and is an important aspect of understanding the overall energy balance in a decay process.

3. How is the energy of a neutrino calculated?

The energy of a neutrino can be calculated using the formula E = pc, where E is the energy, p is the momentum, and c is the speed of light. The momentum of the neutrino can be determined by measuring the momentum of the other particles in the decay process and using conservation of momentum. The energy can also be calculated by measuring the mass of the parent particle and the masses of the other particles in the decay process.

4. What factors can affect the energy of a neutrino in a decay?

The energy of a neutrino in a decay can be affected by several factors, including the masses and energies of the other particles involved in the decay, the type of decay process, and any external forces or interactions that may be present. The energy of the neutrino can also be affected by the direction and angle of its motion.

5. Why is calculating the energy of a neutrino important?

Calculating the energy of a neutrino in a decay can provide valuable information about the underlying physics and dynamics of the decay process. It can also help us understand the energy balance in the universe and how different particles and forces interact with each other. Additionally, precise measurements of neutrino energies can help in the development of new technologies and applications in fields such as nuclear energy and particle physics.