Calculate the energy consumption from a double fitting light

In summary, the question is about calculating the energy consumption of a room illuminated by 12 double fitting 85W fluorescent lights. The person asking the question is unsure if the 85W is for each lamp or for both. Another person suggests that the fixtures likely hold two tubes each, with smaller tubes being 32W and longer ones being 85W. The term "double fitting" may be more commonly referred as "twin fitting" or "twin bulb" light fixture.
t0mm02
Homework Statement
nothing
Relevant Equations
No equations
Hello everyone. I have a question that as simple as it looks it is making me doubt if I answered the correct solution.
A room is illuminated by 12 double fitting 85W fluorescent lights and I got to calculate the energy consumption.
I multiplied 12 x 2 because it says it is double fitting but I actually don't know if the 85W is for both of them or for each (it does not say anything specifying)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that you are right to assume that each fixture has two 85W lamps, since the other option would be two 42.5W lamps to make the 85W, and there is no standard bulb that I know of that is 42.5W. Still, I've never heard the term "double fitting" in the context of lamps. Is that the question in English, or translated from another language?

berkeman said:
Still, I've never heard the term "double fitting" in the context of lamps.
My guess is that these are standard fluorescent fixtures, which typically hold two tubes. Some smaller (1" diameter, 48" length) tubes I have are 32 W. each. Longer and fatter tubes could be 85 W. apiece.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Mark44 said:
My guess is that these are standard fluorescent fixtures, which typically hold two tubes. Some smaller (1" diameter, 48" length) tubes I have are 32 W. each. Longer and fatter tubes could be 85 W. apiece.
Yeah, doing more searching, "twin fitting" or "twin bulb" light fixture seem to be more common terms.

I assume this is for lighting in a museum dedicated to the topic.

Related to Calculate the energy consumption from a double fitting light

What is the formula for calculating energy consumption from a double fitting light?

The formula for calculating energy consumption from a double fitting light is: Energy Consumption (kWh) = Power (W) x Time (h)

How do I determine the power of a double fitting light?

The power of a double fitting light can be determined by checking the label on the light or by using a wattmeter to measure the power consumption.

Can I use the same formula for both LED and incandescent double fitting lights?

Yes, the formula for calculating energy consumption is the same for both LED and incandescent double fitting lights. However, the power (W) may be different for each type of light.

What is the average energy consumption for a double fitting light?

The average energy consumption for a double fitting light can vary depending on the type of light and its usage. However, on average, a double fitting light can consume anywhere from 20 to 100 watts per hour.

How can I reduce the energy consumption of a double fitting light?

To reduce the energy consumption of a double fitting light, you can switch to energy-efficient LED lights, use motion sensors or timers to control the light usage, or simply turn off the light when not in use.