Calculate Tension R of Mass m on String of Length l at Temp T

• Thread starter pt176900
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stat mech
In summary, a rotating system with a weight of mass m fixed to the middle point of a string of length l has a tension R between the ends of the string. The tension is dependent on the distance x between the ends of the string and the temperature T of the environment. The y-components of the tension provide the centripetal force and the energy of the rotating mass is given by 1/2 I w^2, where w is the angular frequency. The string is assumed to be massless and in thermal equilibrium with the environment, which can be equated to the average thermal energy for 1 degree of freedom: 1/2 kT. However, this may not be applicable for a macroscopic system as the energy
pt176900
A weight of mass m is fixed to the middle point of a string of length l and rotates about an axis joining the ends of the string. The system is in contact with its environment at temperature T. Calculate the tension R between the ends of the string in terms of its dependence upon distance x between the ends and the temperature.

My thoughts:

clearly, the x-components of the tension will cancel and we are left with the y-components of the tension which provides the centripital force.

The energy of the rotating mass is given by 1/2 I w^2 (where w is the angular frequency). Since the string is in thermal equilibrium with the envrionment we can equate it with the average thermal energy for 1 degree of freedom: 1/2 kT

What I don't understand, is how to go from the energy to the tension on the string.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know the energy of the string plus the mass. Since the string is assumed to be massless(right?) then you know the velocity as mass rotates.

The distance between the two ends of the string X will decide the radius at which the mass rotates.

Does this help?

I'm very sure u can't equate anything macroscopic with [itex] \frac{1}{2} kT [/itex]

Daniel.

Is there a way to solve the problem if it is macroscopic?

dextercioby said:
I'm very sure u can't equate anything macroscopic with [itex] \frac{1}{2} kT [/itex]

Daniel.

even if you did, if a macroscopic energy system had kT worth of energy, ie. 0.026 eV at room temperature, it'd be basically zero relative to the moment of inertia of the mass.

is there a coefficient of thermal expansion for the string or something like that, which would affect the length of the string as a function of temperature?

Related to Calculate Tension R of Mass m on String of Length l at Temp T

1. What is the formula for calculating tension?

The formula for calculating tension is T = mg + ma, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do I determine the length of the string?

The length of the string can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Make sure to measure from the point where the string is attached to the object to the point where it is attached to the other end, not including any excess string.

3. What is the value of g to be used in the formula?

The value of g to be used in the formula is typically 9.8 m/s^2, which is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth. However, if you are conducting an experiment in a different environment, you may need to use a different value for g.

4. How does temperature affect tension?

Temperature can affect tension in a few ways. First, as temperature increases, the length of the string may expand, which can affect the overall tension. Additionally, if the object has a temperature-dependent mass, this can also affect the tension calculation.

5. Can I use this formula for any type of string?

This formula can be used for most types of strings, as long as they are considered to be "ideal" strings. This means that the string is massless, frictionless, and inextensible. If the string does not meet these criteria, the formula may need to be adjusted or a different method of calculation may be necessary.