Calculate Resultant Force of Charges on Rectangle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resultant force on a positive charge located at the corner of a rectangle, given the dimensions of the rectangle and the charge's magnitude. The conversation discusses finding the X-Y components of the force due to the charge at the opposite corner and the adjacent corners, and then adding them together to find the total force. The equation for finding the resultant force is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing urgency as the assignment is due in an hour.
Alt+F4
http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/6972/showmeks9.gif

Four charges are placed on the corners of a rectangle. What is the resultant force on the positive charge (a = 1.1 m, b = 0.7 m, q = 2.4 × 10-9C)?

So you need to break this into X and Y, for Hypotnuse i got 1.303

So wat i did was

Ex1 = K(2.4*10^-9) * Cos 32.47 / (1.303)^2 = 10.286

EY1 = K * 2.3*10^-9 * sin 32.47 / (1.303)^2 = 6.545

For Ex2 and Ey2, the answers should be the same

I am trying to find |F| , i know after i get Ex and Ey i will multiply this by 2.4*10^-9 and do X^2+Y^2 and take the square root

How do i get F. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've apparently found the X-Y components of the force due to the
charge at the opposite corner of the rectangle. Just add these
components to the X-Y components of the forces due to the charges at the adjacent corners of the rectangle. Then find the resultant of the total X-Y components of the forces just found.

J Hann said:
You've apparently found the X-Y components of the force due to the
charge at the opposite corner of the rectangle. Just add these
components to the X-Y components of the forces due to the charges at the adjacent corners of the rectangle. Then find the resultant of the total X-Y components of the forces just found.

Ex = K(2.4*10^-9) (1.1)^2= 17.851

EY = K * 2.4*10^-9 / (.7)^2 = 44.081

Last edited:
Hw is due in an hour, i have tried everything

Related to Calculate Resultant Force of Charges on Rectangle

1. How do you calculate the resultant force of charges on a rectangle?

The resultant force of charges on a rectangle can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the resultant force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field. The electric field can be calculated by dividing the electric force by the magnitude of the charge.

2. What is the direction of the resultant force on a rectangle due to charges?

The direction of the resultant force on a rectangle due to charges will depend on the direction of the electric field. If the electric field is pointing towards the rectangle, the resultant force will be in the same direction. If the electric field is pointing away from the rectangle, the resultant force will be in the opposite direction.

3. How does the distance between charges affect the resultant force on a rectangle?

The distance between charges has an inverse relationship with the resultant force on a rectangle. As the distance between charges increases, the resultant force decreases. This is because the electric field weakens as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker resultant force.

4. Can the resultant force on a rectangle be negative?

Yes, the resultant force on a rectangle can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the electric field, resulting in a net force of zero on the rectangle. This can happen if the charges are arranged in a way that cancels out the electric field.

5. How can the resultant force on a rectangle be used in practical applications?

The resultant force on a rectangle due to charges is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged objects. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry. For example, it can be used to design efficient and effective electrical circuits or to study the interactions between charged particles in a plasma.