Calculate Power Needed to Run Conveyor Belt with dm/dt kgs-1

In summary, the two individuals arrived at different solutions for the power needed to run a conveyor belt that sand is being poured on. One solution used energy conservation, while the other considered the rate of change of momentum of the sand. The difference in solutions was due to the assumption of the collision between the sand and the belt being inelastic. Ultimately, it was determined that the velocity of the conveyor belt is what matters in calculating the force required to run the belt.

Which of us is right in finding the answer??

• My friend is right.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
me189
sand is pouring on a conveyor belt in a rate of rate of dm/dt kgs-1
if the velocity of the conveyor belt is v ms-1,
what is the power needed to run the conveyor belt.

My friend arrived at his answer in this way

F = dp/dt = d(mv)/dt = v (dm/dt) N
Power = Fv = (dm/dt)v2 Watts

(however the velocity of the accelerating sand is not constant, right?? it should be increasing linearly if acceleration is constant, the average velocity of the sand during acceleration should be v/2 ms-1, right?)

But i arrived at a slightly different answer in this way

Total change in the KE of a mass m of sand after falling on the belt = 0.5mv2
Power
= dW/dt
= d(0.5mv2)/dt
= 0.5 dm/dt v2 Watts

Physics news on Phys.org
me189 said:
But i arrived at a slightly different answer in this way

Total change in the KE of a mass m of sand after falling on the belt = 0.5mv2
Power
= dW/dt
= d(0.5mv2)/dt
= 0.5 dm/dt v2 Watts
Your solution assumes energy conservation, but realize that the collision of sand and belt is inelastic.

Your friend's solution is correct.

But is applying P = Fv right?
for P = Fv, the v basically implys displacement over time, which is the average velocity of the sand during acceleration , isn't it?
but at the instant that the sand drops on the conveyor, the velocity must be smaller than the velocity of the conveyor. Then it seems to be strange to apply P = Fv by using the velocity of the conveyor as the average of the sand during acceleration.

Also, if i "put" the sand on the conveyor instead of "dropping" it onto the conveyor, it should yield the same result, isn't it??

me189 said:
But is applying P = Fv right?
for P = Fv, the v basically implys displacement over time, which is the average velocity of the sand during acceleration , isn't it?
but at the instant that the sand drops on the conveyor, the velocity must be smaller than the velocity of the conveyor. Then it seems to be strange to apply P = Fv by using the velocity of the conveyor as the average of the sand during acceleration.
Not sure what you're saying here. What matters is the rate of change of momentum of the sand. In every unit of time the change in momentum is (Δm)v. (All bits of sand have the same change in velocity.) So the rate of change of that momentum is (Δm/Δt)v = (dm/dt)v. That's the force required.

Also, if i "put" the sand on the conveyor instead of "dropping" it onto the conveyor, it should yield the same result, isn't it??
No. The height from which the sand is dropped--if that's what you're getting at--is not relevant. (It's not even mentioned in the problem.)

i understand that the force required is (dm/dt)v
but in the formula P = Fv, v means the velocity of sand when the force is applied, isn't it? However, the velocity of the sand bit is changing when the force is applied.
The initial velocity of the sand bit (when it is drop on the conveyor) is zero.
The final velocity of the sand bit is v ms-1, the same as the conveyor.
Shouldnt the v in P = Fv be [ (0+v)/2 ] ms-1??

If the sand bit is "put" on the conveyor "gently", will the collision become more elastic in this case?? (and ultimately become completely elastic??)

Last edited:
me189 said:
i understand that the force required is (dm/dt)v
but in the formula P = Fv, v means the velocity of sand when the force is applied, isn't it?
No, it's the velocity of what's applying the force, which is the belt.

If the sand bit is "put" on the conveyor "gently", will the collision become more elastic in this case?? (and ultimately become completely elastic??)
No. What's inelastic about it is the fact that the sand 'collides' with the moving belt. Its the horizontal speed that counts.

thx a lot!
i understand the case now^^

Related to Calculate Power Needed to Run Conveyor Belt with dm/dt kgs-1

1. How do I calculate the power needed to run a conveyor belt with a given mass flow rate?

The power needed to run a conveyor belt with a given mass flow rate can be calculated using the formula P = (dm/dt) * V, where P is power, dm/dt is the mass flow rate in kilograms per second, and V is the velocity of the conveyor belt in meters per second.

2. What units should I use for the mass flow rate and velocity when calculating conveyor belt power?

The mass flow rate should be measured in kilograms per second, and the velocity should be measured in meters per second. It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate calculation.

3. How do I determine the velocity of a conveyor belt?

The velocity of a conveyor belt can be determined by measuring the length of the belt and the time it takes for it to move from one point to another. The velocity is then calculated by dividing the length by the time taken.

4. Can the power needed to run a conveyor belt change over time?

Yes, the power needed to run a conveyor belt can change over time if there are changes in the mass flow rate or velocity. It is important to regularly monitor and adjust the power needed to ensure efficient operation of the conveyor belt.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the power needed to run a conveyor belt?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the power needed to run a conveyor belt, such as the incline of the belt, the friction between the belt and the rollers, and the weight of the load being transported. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the power needed.