Calculate mass from acceleration and radius

In summary, to calculate the mass of an object just from the acceleration from gravity and the radius, you can use the equation F=GM/r². Once you find the force, you can calculate mass by M=F/A, where G=6.67 x 10^11, r=12, and acceleration=2 m/s². By rearranging the equation to M=a*r²/G, we can find the mass of the object, which in this case is an imaginary planet with a radius of 12 m and an acceleration of 2 m/s². The density of this planet can also be calculated by assuming it is a sphere.
kmh36

Homework Statement

How do you calculate the mass of an object just from the acceleration from gravity and the radius?

Homework Equations

My thoughts were F=GM/r2, then once you find F, you can calculate mass by M=F/A
G= 6.67 x 10^11
r = 12
Acceleration = 2 m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(6.67 x 10 ^-11) / 12^2 = 4.63 * 10 ^-13
M = (4.63 * 10 ^-13)/(2 m/s^2) = 2.31 ^-13 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello 10 m/s, and welcome to PF :smile:

Acceleration from gravity due to another object happens to be independent of mass. You are missing an m in your ##F = {G Mm\over r^2}## that, with ## F= ma## goes over in ##a = {G M\over r^2}##.

[edit] compare gravitational acceleration at the surface of the earth:
G = 6.67E-11 N/(m/kg)2
M = 5.97E+24 kg
r = 6.37E+06 m
g = GM/r2 = 9.82E+00 m/s2

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I still don't understand! What is 10 m/s?
I didn't think my equations were right, but I really don't know what to try next. I don't know the mass which is really hanging me up.

10 m/s is 36 km/h, just a corny attempt at humor.

You don't know the mass in what kind of situation ? Could you be a bit more elaborate in the problem statement ?

Apparently you have two "things", 12 m apart, and "something" accelerates with 2 m/s2 ?

Ha, that is funny!

I'm trying to calculate the mass of an imaginary planet. All I have given to me is the radius (12m) and the acceleration due to gravity on that surface (which is 2 m/s2)

Well, then you're in business! So the problem statement is:

What is the mass of a planet with radius 12 m (!?), given that the acceleration due to gravity on the surface of that planet is 2 m/s2.

And you have the equation. Is it clear that GM/r2 is not a force but an acceleration ?

It's a very dense planet. Just for the fun of it, calculate the density in kg/m2 assuming its a sphere...

tip: work in symbols (a, G, M, r) as long as you can, until you have a final expression (a = ...) . Then check dimensions and then fill in numbers.

Likes MacLaddy

Related to Calculate mass from acceleration and radius

What is the equation for calculating mass from acceleration and radius?

The equation for calculating mass from acceleration and radius is m = a * r^2, where m is the mass in kilograms, a is the acceleration in meters per second squared, and r is the radius in meters.

What are the units for mass, acceleration, and radius in this calculation?

The units for mass are kilograms (kg), the units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2), and the units for radius are meters (m).

Can this equation be used for all types of objects, regardless of their shape or size?

Yes, this equation can be used for any object as long as the acceleration and radius are known. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes the object is a perfect sphere with a uniform distribution of mass.

Is this equation affected by the direction of the acceleration?

No, the direction of the acceleration does not affect this equation. This equation only takes into account the magnitude of the acceleration and the radius of the object.

Can this equation be used to calculate the mass of an object in motion?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the mass of an object in motion as long as the acceleration and radius are known. However, it is important to note that the mass calculated using this equation may not be the same as the mass measured when the object is at rest due to relativistic effects.