Calculate Kinetic Friction Coefficient for Hockey Puck on Ice

• Thread starter kopinator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, to find the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the hockey puck and the ice, we can use the equation F(friction)=mu*Normal force and the equation Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi) to find the acceleration. From there, we can use the equation F(friction)=ma to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction. To find the normal reaction force, we can use the equation F(n)=mg, and to find the decelerating force, we can use the equation F(d)=ma. By linking all of these equations together and assuming a mass of 1, we can solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
kopinator
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 21.9 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 209.7 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

F(friction)=mu*Normal force
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

I used the second equation I gave to find the acceleration which is -1.14 m/s^s. I don't know what to do to get the answer from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
kopinator said:
A hockey puck on a frozen pond with an initial speed of 21.9 m/s stops after sliding a distance of 209.7 m. Calculate the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between the puck and the ice.

F(friction)=mu*Normal force
Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(Xf-Xi)

I used the second equation I gave to find the acceleration which is -1.14 m/s^s. I don't know what to do to get the answer from there.

What is the Normal Reaction Force equal to?

How can you work out the Deccelerating Force?

Can you link those to together into 1 equation and then solve it? You'll need to assume the mass equals 1 or cancel them out.

Related to Calculate Kinetic Friction Coefficient for Hockey Puck on Ice

1. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the movement of an object over a surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. How is kinetic friction coefficient calculated?

The kinetic friction coefficient is calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the object and the surface it is moving on. It is represented by the symbol μk.

3. What factors affect the kinetic friction coefficient for a hockey puck on ice?

The kinetic friction coefficient for a hockey puck on ice is affected by the temperature of the ice, the weight and material of the puck, and the roughness of the ice surface.

4. How does the kinetic friction coefficient affect the movement of a hockey puck on ice?

The higher the kinetic friction coefficient, the greater the force of friction acting on the puck, which slows down its movement. A lower kinetic friction coefficient means less friction and a smoother, faster movement for the puck on ice.

5. Can the kinetic friction coefficient for a hockey puck on ice change?

Yes, the kinetic friction coefficient for a hockey puck on ice can change depending on the conditions. For example, if the temperature of the ice changes, it can affect the friction between the puck and the ice surface, resulting in a different kinetic friction coefficient.