Calculate G Force from 40 lbs Dropped 8 Feet

• Thread starter scott35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of G-forces created when an object falls from a height of 8 feet. The speaker is not familiar with physics and is seeking an answer. The response mentions that the G-forces depend on the braking distance at the floor and can vary depending on the stiffness of the falling object and the floor. A link to a Wikipedia article on G-forces is provided for further information.
scott35
Hey everyone I have a question that I'm wondering if it can be answered, I'm not into physics and don't know how to calculate it out. my question is if 40 lbs fell from a height of 8 feet how many G forces would be created on impact. the reason I'm asking is due to a real life scenario. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the braking distance at the floor. For uniform accelerations (which is basically the minimal-G-scenario), the product of acceleration and corresponding distance is the same for the free fall and the impact. Then you just have to add 1 to the G-value due to gravity during the deceleration process.

G-forces at the floor are due to the interaction of the falling body and the floor. If both are very stiff (hard), then your accelerometer will indicate many g's ... a disk drive falling off of your desk onto a concrete floor may hit 50 g's of acceleration, while it may be only a few if it hits a pillow.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Related to Calculate G Force from 40 lbs Dropped 8 Feet

1. What is G Force?

G Force, also known as acceleration due to gravity, is a measure of the force experienced by an object when it is subjected to the Earth's gravitational pull. It is measured in units of acceleration (m/s²) and is represented by the symbol "g". The Earth's standard gravitational acceleration is approximately 9.8 m/s².

2. How do you calculate G Force?

To calculate G Force, you can use the formula: G = (m x a) / W, where G is the G Force in units of "g", m is the mass of the object in kilograms, a is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s², and W is the weight of the object in Newtons (N). In this case, you would plug in the values of 40 lbs for the weight and 8 feet for the distance (which would be converted to meters) into the formula to get the G Force in units of "g".

3. Why is G Force important to calculate?

G Force is important to calculate because it helps us understand the amount of force an object experiences when it is dropped or accelerated due to gravity. This can be useful in many applications, such as designing amusement park rides, understanding the effects of high G Forces on the human body, and predicting the trajectory of objects in free fall.

4. What are some common units of measurement for G Force?

The most common unit of measurement for G Force is "g", but it can also be measured in units of acceleration (m/s²) or force (N). In some cases, G Force may also be expressed as a multiple of Earth's standard gravitational acceleration, such as 2g or 5g.

5. Is G Force the same as weight?

No, G Force and weight are not the same. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while G Force is a measure of the acceleration experienced by an object due to the Earth's gravity. Weight can vary depending on the gravitational pull of different planets or objects, while G Force remains constant on Earth (assuming the object is not in free fall or experiencing air resistance).