Calculate Final Speeds Two Mass Spring System

In summary, the two masses on either side of a compressed spring will have the same speed when the spring is released.
PCB
I am trying to calculate the final speeds of two masses on either side of a compressed spring, when the spring is released (in a frictionless environment). The problem has similarities to a perfectly elastic collision, in that the potential energy in the compressed spring would be the result of the v and m of the two masses which compressed the spring. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
A spring with a mass is a harmonic oscillator, which is governed by a second order ODE for the displacement. Your case is simply two harmonic oscillators connected using the same spring.

Here is an example that explains your case.
http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/notes/ho/node2.html
You can get the equations either by applying Newton's second law or conservation of energy.

PCB said:
Any suggestions?
What's conserved?

You can think of this as the reverse of a perfectly elastic collision--an explosion.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. 1. Unless I am wrong, the harmonic oscillator math will just give the frequency of oscillations, but not the speed of the masses (further assume the masses are not attached to the springs, so no oscillations occur). 2. Total energy of the system is conserved, of course. The energy that went into compressing the spring will equal the energy of the moving masses when the spring is released. 3. As you can see from my orginal post, I am thinking of this situation as a PEC, more specifically, the post collision part of the PEC

PCB said:
2. Total energy of the system is conserved, of course. The energy that went into compressing the spring will equal the energy of the moving masses when the spring is released.
Good. What else is conserved?

Ok, I play the game. Energy and momentum are conserved

The harmonic oscillator math will give you x(t) of the masses. Once you have that, you can calculate the velocity by derivation. The governing equations are the same for the fixed and the free mass problem up to the point where you reach the maximum spring displacement.

I also just realized that when you only need the velocities at the moment the masses detach from the springs, using the conservation equations is much easier - no need to solve the ODE's.

EDIT: so yes, just solve the energy and momentum equations as Doc Al suggested

PCB said:
Ok, I play the game. Energy and momentum are conserved
That's all you need.

Good advice from both of you, thank you. The trouble I am having now is that the oscillator math assumes the spring/mass is acting against a fixed wall. I forgot to specify that my masses are not equal in, er, mass.

Forget about the oscillator stuff--not relevant. Treat it like an explosion.

Related to Calculate Final Speeds Two Mass Spring System

1. What is a two mass spring system?

A two mass spring system consists of two objects connected by springs, where one object is attached to a fixed point and the other is free to move. The movement of the objects is governed by the force of the springs, which can be modeled using the laws of motion and Hooke's law.

2. How do you calculate final speeds in a two mass spring system?

To calculate the final speeds of the objects in a two mass spring system, you need to use the conservation of energy principle. This involves calculating the total energy at the initial state and equating it to the total energy at the final state. From there, you can solve for the final speeds by using the equations for kinetic and potential energy.

3. What factors affect the final speeds in a two mass spring system?

The final speeds in a two mass spring system are affected by various factors, such as the stiffness of the springs, the masses of the objects, and the initial conditions (e.g. initial positions and velocities). In general, the final speeds will be higher if the springs are stiffer, the masses are larger, and the initial conditions involve more energy.

4. Can the final speeds in a two mass spring system be negative?

Yes, the final speeds in a two mass spring system can be negative. This can occur if the initial conditions result in a decrease in energy, such as if the objects start at a higher potential energy and end at a lower potential energy. In this case, the final speeds will be negative, indicating that the objects are moving in the opposite direction of their initial velocities.

5. How does damping affect the final speeds in a two mass spring system?

Damping, which is the dissipation of energy due to friction or other external forces, can decrease the final speeds in a two mass spring system. This is because damping reduces the total energy in the system, leading to lower final speeds. In some cases, damping may even cause the objects to come to a complete stop.