Calculate dilution to create new specific gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses creating specific gravity controls using ethylene glycol and DI water. The specific gravity of ethylene glycol is 1.113 and the goal is to create a 50 ml solution with a specific gravity of 1.002. To achieve this, a formula is needed and the user plans to weigh the ethylene glycol as it is added to a volumetric container. However, due to ideal solution behavior and temperature considerations, an exact formula is not available and accuracy can be achieved by using density tables.
Rosemary Johnson
I am trying to make specific gravity controls using ethylene glycol and DI water.

Ethylene glycol has a specific gravity of 1.113. I want to know the weight in grams of EG to add and then QS with water to achieve 50 ml of a solution with a specific gravity of 1.002. I need a formula please.

P.S. I know EG is a liquid - I will weigh it as I add it to a volumetric container so I can dispense the correct amount of EG.

Thanks so much for your help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Assuming ideal solution behavior (not a given), and T = 298 K, and other things ----- get the picture?

There is no exact formula, as volumes are not additive. If you need controls, you need accuracy, that means using density tables.

Related to Calculate dilution to create new specific gravity

1. What is dilution?

Dilution is the process of reducing the concentration of a substance by adding more solvent, resulting in a decrease in the specific gravity.

2. Why would I need to calculate dilution to create a new specific gravity?

You may need to create a new specific gravity for a variety of reasons, such as adjusting the concentration of a solution for a specific experiment or ensuring a product meets certain specifications.

3. How do I calculate dilution?

To calculate dilution, you need to know the initial specific gravity, the desired specific gravity, and the volume of the solution you want to create. You can use the formula: C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, C2 is the desired concentration, and V2 is the final volume. Plug in the known values and solve for V2 to determine the volume of solvent needed.

4. What is specific gravity and why is it important?

Specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of water. It is important because it is a measure of how concentrated a substance is and can help determine the purity or strength of a solution.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating dilution?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate protective equipment when handling concentrated substances and to carefully follow instructions to avoid any accidents. It is also important to accurately measure and mix the solution to achieve the desired specific gravity.