Calculate Definite Integral with N Variable

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the value of the integral \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{N}*e^{x}\, dx and the two sequences it produces. It was determined that these sequences are n! for n=0,1,2... and e \cdot \Gamma(n+1,1) which is the incomplete gamma function. Through integration by parts, it was found that the solution to this integral is e[\Gamma(n+1)-\Gamma(n+1,1)]. The proposed solution of \frac{k+1}{k-1} was incorrect and the correct solution is \[I_k=e \times n!-n! \sum_{k=0
bincy
Hii friends,\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{N}*e^{x}\, dx\)

regards,
Bincy

Physics news on Phys.org
bincybn said:
Hii friends,

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{N}*e^{x}\, dx\)regards,
Bincy
this is what i have:for n=0, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{0}*e^{x}\, dx = e-1\)
for n=1, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{1}*e^{x}\, dx = e-2\)
for n=2, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{2}*e^{x}\, dx = 2e-5\)
for n=3, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{3}*e^{x}\, dx = 6e-16\)
for n=4, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{4}*e^{x}\, dx = 24e-65\)
and so on..so you have two sequnces.. 1,1,2,6,24... is simply n! for n=0,1,2...1,2,5,16,65,... is \(\displaystyle e \cdot \Gamma(n+1,1)\) which is incomplete gamma function. For some reason I cannot paste the link here, please refer to the page mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialSums.html
See equations 35 and 36so you have:
\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{n}*e^{x}\, dx \;= \; [e\cdot n! - e \cdot \Gamma(n+1,1)] = e[\Gamma(n+1)-\Gamma(n+1,1)]\)

Last edited:
bincybn said:
Hii friends,\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{N}*e^{x}\, dx\)

regards,
Bincy

Let:

\( \displaystyle I_k=\int_0^1 (1-x)^k e^x \; dx\)

Then integration by parts gives: \(k I_{k-1}-I_k=1\)

CB

Last edited:
themurgesh said:
this is what i have:for n=0, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{0}*e^{x}\, dx = e-1\)
for n=1, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{1}*e^{x}\, dx = e-2\)
for n=2, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{2}*e^{x}\, dx = 2e-5\)
for n=3, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{3}*e^{x}\, dx = 6e-16\)
for n=4, \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{4}*e^{x}\, dx = 24e-65\)
and so on..so you have two sequnces.. 1,1,2,6,24... is simply n! for n=0,1,2...1,2,5,16,65,... is \(\displaystyle e \cdot \Gamma(n+1,1)\) which is incomplete gamma function. For some reason I cannot paste the link here, please refer to the page mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialSums.html
See equations 35 and 36so you have:
\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{1}\left(1-x\right)^{n}*e^{x}\, dx \;= \; [e\cdot n! - e \cdot \Gamma(n+1,1)] = e[\Gamma(n+1)-\Gamma(n+1,1)]\)

Incomplete induction, not mathematical induction!

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Let:

\( \displaystyle I_k=\int_0^1 (1-x)^k e^x \; dx\)

Then integration by parts gives: \(I_k+k I_{k-1}=1\)

CB

Integration by parts gives \(\displaystyle k*I_{k-1}-I_{k}=1 \)

But how to solve this equation?

Is the ans \(\displaystyle \frac{k+1}{k-1} \) ?thanks in advance.

Bincy

Last edited:
bincybn said:
Integration by parts gives \(\displaystyle k*I_{k-1}-I_{k}=1 \)

But how to solve this equation?

Is the ans \(\displaystyle \frac{k+1}{k-1} \) ?thanks in advance.

Bincy

If themurgesh incomplete induction is correct, then if \(k\) is a non negative integer mathematical induction using the recurence of themurgesh's solution should work (though I am unhappy about the appearance of in incomplete gamma functions, in that I would rather avoid them if possible).

The soliution without incomplete gamma functions, to which you can apply mathematical or complete induction is:

\[I_k=e \times n!-n! \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!}\]

Your proposed answer cannot be right since is is wrong for all the cases where we know the answer.

CB

Last edited:
May I know what is wrong in my ans?

My ans. satisfies the recursive eqn.
I am also unhappy to include gamma function in my ans.Oops. I didn't even bother abt the initial conditions.
Pls ignore this reply.

Last edited:
bincybn said:
May I know what is wrong in my ans?

My ans. satisfies the recursive eqn.
I am also unhappy to include gamma function in my ans.Oops. I didn't even bother abt the initial conditions.
Pls ignore this reply.
See my previous post, it has been edited to include the actual solution which you can prove is the solution by induction.

CB

CaptainBlack said:
\[I_k=e \times n!+n! \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{k!}\]
CB
Thanks.. I got it. Instead of + it is -.

Last edited:
bincybn said:
Thanks.. I got it. Instead of + it is -.

Yes.

CB

Related to Calculate Definite Integral with N Variable

1. How do I calculate the definite integral with n variables?

To calculate the definite integral with n variables, you will need to use multivariable calculus. This involves taking the integral with respect to each variable and then using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to combine them.

2. What is the purpose of calculating a definite integral with n variables?

The purpose of calculating a definite integral with n variables is to determine the area under a multidimensional curve or surface. This can be useful in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are the steps to calculate a definite integral with n variables?

The steps to calculate a definite integral with n variables are as follows:

1. Identify the variables involved in the integral.
  2. Find the limits of integration for each variable.
  3. Take the integral with respect to one variable at a time, treating the other variables as constants.
  4. Use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to combine the integrals.
  5. Simplify the resulting expression and evaluate the limits of integration to find the final answer.

4. Can a definite integral with n variables be solved analytically?

In most cases, a definite integral with n variables cannot be solved analytically, meaning there is no exact formula for the solution. However, it can be approximated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

5. What are some common applications of calculating a definite integral with n variables?

Some common applications of calculating a definite integral with n variables include finding the volume of solids in three-dimensional space, calculating the work done by a variable force, and determining the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.