Calculate DC current through an inductor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series DC circuit consisting of a 100V DC source, a switch, a 1.5H inductor, and a 1nF capacitor, and the calculation of current when the switch is closed for 2uS. There is a debate on the accuracy of the calculation, with one person suggesting to use V=IR and another mentioning the need to solve a differential equation. The conversation also brings up the concept of a damped/driven harmonic oscillator and the "impulse response" of the RCL circuit. It is suggested to look up these terms for further understanding.
hobbs125
Hi everyone,

Say I have a series DC circuit. The circuit contains a 100V DC source, a switch, a 1.5H inductor, and a 1nF capacitor (all in series).

If I close the switch for 2uS what is the current at that time?

Initially I thought I could rearrange V=L*di/dt to

V*Ton/L = di/dt which would be 100*.000002/.150=1.3mA?

For some reason I am thinking this is not right since the capacitor charge should also effect the current.

Can anyone help me understand and calculate this correctly?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Once you have turned the circuit on it settles to a steady state very quickly - so you use V=IR - where R is the DC resistance of the inductor. An ideal inductor is just a length of wire ... R=0.

The transient response requires you solve the differential equation.

For an ideal switch closed for time T, ##v(t)=V_0\big ( u(t)-u(t-T)\big )##

Include the cap voltage too, which is 1/c times integral of i(t) dt. Basically a KVL. Take derivative to get rid of integral and get a 2nd order diff eq. Then solve for i(t)

Ok, I guess I need to go study differential equations. Never got that far in math.

Could anyone show me step by step how to solve?

Last edited:
I missed the cap - right ... the solution is a damped/driven harmonic oscilator.
You can look it up. The driving function is the unput voltage as a function of time.
The u(t) function in post #2 are the Heaviside step function ... which you can look up too.

It would be a bit like pushing a pendulum off equilibrium and holding it for a bit before letting it go.

What you get is, basically, called the "impulse response" of the RCL circuit.
That's something else you can look up.

If you set it up right you can make it "ring" like a bell.

Related to Calculate DC current through an inductor?

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire, often wound around a core material, and is used to filter, store, or control the flow of electrical current.

How does an inductor affect DC current?

An inductor resists changes in current, so when a DC current is applied, it initially resists the flow of current. As the current continues to flow, the inductor will eventually reach a steady state where it allows the DC current to pass through without resistance.

How do you calculate the DC current through an inductor?

The DC current through an inductor can be calculated using Ohm's Law. The formula is I = V/R, where I is the DC current in amps, V is the voltage across the inductor in volts, and R is the resistance of the inductor in ohms.

What factors affect the DC current through an inductor?

The DC current through an inductor can be affected by the inductance of the component, the voltage applied, and the resistance of the circuit. The type and material of the core used in the inductor can also have an impact on the DC current.

What is the unit of measurement for inductance?

The unit of measurement for inductance is the henry (H). This unit is named after Joseph Henry, who discovered the principle of inductance in 1831.