Calculate Current & Resistance of 4.5V Battery & 12Ω Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a battery of 4.5V connected to a 12 ohm resistor, with a P.D. of 3V across the resistor. The question asks to calculate the current in the circuit and the internal resistance of the battery. The summary provides the solution to these questions, using Ohm's law and the concept of a series circuit. It also explains the value of 0.29V in the second example, which represents the voltage lost to the internal resistance of the battery.
faisal
A battery of e.m.f. 4.5V is connected across a 12 ohm resistor, if the Pd. Across the resistor is 3V calculate
a)the current in the circuit ?
b)internal resistance of the battery?
iv tried my best but i can't do it

Physics news on Phys.org
a) using the resistor, remember ohms law.
b) if the resistor is using 3v what is the internal resistance taking, and also remember that is a series circuit, so what is the same throughout.

I Still don't understand here's my answer
a)2/9.5=0.2 amps
b)0.2X 9.5= 1.9v (V=IR)

i DONT understand this example given to me
q.1 A 9v battery with an internal resisrance of 0.1 ohms is connected to a 3 ohm resistance. What current flows across the circuit and what is the P.D. across the terminals of the battery
E=I(R+r)
I=E/(R+r)
answer 2.9A (i understand this part)
PD across battery= VR= (9-.29)=8.7V where on Earth did 0.29 come from?

faisal said:
i DONT understand this example given to me
q.1 A 9v battery with an internal resisrance of 0.1 ohms is connected to a 3 ohm resistance. What current flows across the circuit and what is the P.D. across the terminals of the battery
E=I(R+r)
I=E/(R+r)
answer 2.9A (i understand this part)
PD across battery= VR= (9-.29)=8.7V where on Earth did 0.29 come from?

the 0.29 is the voltage lost to the internal resistance of the battery.

I*internal resistance = 2.9*0.1 = 0.29 Volts.

faisal said:
I Still don't understand here's my answer
a)2/9.5=0.2 amps
b)0.2X 9.5= 1.9v (V=IR)

I'm a little puzzled where the 9.5 and the 2 have come from.

If the resistor is 12ohms and is taking 3V, then you can find the current flowing through it, and hence the circuit as all components are in series.

By knowing that there is a supply of 4.5V and the resistor is taking 3V, you can find what PD the internal resistance is taking, and by working out the circuit current in question a), you will find the that internal resistance value.

Related to Calculate Current & Resistance of 4.5V Battery & 12Ω Resistor

1. How do I calculate the current of a 4.5V battery and 12Ω resistor?

To calculate the current, we can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R), or I = V/R. In this case, we would divide 4.5V by 12Ω to get a current of 0.375 amps.

2. Can I use a different equation to calculate current and resistance?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to calculate current and resistance, such as the power equation P = VI, where power (P) is equal to voltage (V) multiplied by current (I). However, Ohm's Law is the most commonly used equation for these calculations.

3. What units should I use for the voltage and resistance values?

Voltage is typically measured in volts (V), while resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). It is important to use consistent units when using Ohm's Law to calculate current.

4. Why is it important to know the current and resistance of a battery and resistor?

Knowing the current and resistance can help us understand how much power is being used and how much heat is being generated in a circuit. This information is crucial for designing and troubleshooting electronic devices.

5. Is there a limit to the current that can flow through a battery and resistor?

Yes, there is a limit to the current that can flow through a battery and resistor. This limit is determined by the maximum voltage and resistance values, as well as the capacity of the battery. Exceeding this limit can cause damage to the components or even lead to a fire.