Calculate Charge to Mass Ratio from J.J. Thomson's Experiment

In summary, the experiment involves observing charged particles traveling through a magnetic field of 0.040 T with a radius of curvature of 0.20 m. When an electric field is introduced by two parallel plates, the path of the particles is made straight again. To calculate the charge-to-mass ratio of the particles, the kinetic energy and voltage across the plates are used, resulting in a value of 6.3 x 10^6 C/kg. However, the use of kinetic energy is not valid in this case, and the correct calculation involves the distance between the plates.
Linday12

Homework Statement

In an experiment similar to J. J. Thomson's, charged particles are observed to travel through a magnetic field of 0.040 T with a radius of curvature of 0.20 m. The path of these particles is made straight again when an electric field is introduced by two parallel plates.

V=200 V
distance between plates=10cm=0.10m
radius=0.20m
B=0.040T (assuming its parallel)

Homework Equations

r=mv/qB
ek=1/2(mv^2)=qV
v=[tex]\sqrt{2qV/m}[/tex]
r[tex]^{2}[/tex]=m2V/qB[tex]^{2}[/tex]
q/m=2V/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]B[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

=2(200V)/(0.20m)[tex]^{2}[/tex](0.040T)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
=6.3 x 10^6 C/kg

Does this look to be correct? I wasn't sure if I could do it all at once if the force was exerted at two different times (although it seems to make sense).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
r=mv/qB
ek=1/2(mv^2)=qV
v=[tex]\sqrt{2qV/m}[/tex]
r[tex]^{2}[/tex]=m2V/qB[tex]^{2}[/tex]
q/m=2V/r[tex]^{2}[/tex]B[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I don't think you can use kinetic energy here because it seems that the charge is traveling along an equipotential, i.e. not in the direction of the E field of the capacitor plates.

In the first case you found

mv2/R = qv*B

Then the E-Field is applied so there is no net force. This results in

qv*B = q*E

where E = V/d

v = E / B = V/(d*B)

If you apply this result to the first equation you should arrive at

q/m = V/(B2*R*d)

In this case since it happens that d = R it calculates to half of your result ...

q/m = V/(B*R)2

Last edited:
In the relevant equation, the ek is the kinetic energy acquired be the charged particle before it enters the magnetic field. In the problem the given voltage is the voltage across the parallel plates which deflects the the beam of charged particles. In the calculation you have not used the distance between the plates which is given in the problem.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't notice that I hadn't used the plate separation. The problem makes complete sense now. Thank you both for your help, it was exactly what I needed!

Related to Calculate Charge to Mass Ratio from J.J. Thomson's Experiment

What is J.J. Thomson's Experiment?

J.J. Thomson's Experiment, also known as the Cathode Ray Experiment, was a series of experiments conducted by physicist J.J. Thomson in the late 1800s. It involved passing an electrical current through a vacuum tube and observing the behavior of the cathode rays, which led to the discovery of the electron.

Why is the Charge to Mass Ratio important?

The Charge to Mass Ratio is important because it allows scientists to determine the charge and mass of an individual electron. This is crucial in understanding the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles in various experiments and applications.

How is the Charge to Mass Ratio calculated from J.J. Thomson's Experiment?

The Charge to Mass Ratio is calculated by measuring the deflection of the cathode rays in a magnetic field and an electric field. By varying the strength of these fields and measuring the corresponding deflections, the ratio of the charge (q) to the mass (m) of the electron can be determined using the formula q/m = (E/B)^2 * (L^2/d^2), where E is the electric field strength, B is the magnetic field strength, L is the distance between the plates of the electric field, and d is the distance between the magnetic field and the cathode ray tube.

What is the accepted value for the Charge to Mass Ratio?

The accepted value for the Charge to Mass Ratio is 1.758820024 × 10^11 coulombs per kilogram (C/kg). This value was determined by more accurate experiments conducted after Thomson's original discovery.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation of Charge to Mass Ratio?

The accuracy of the calculation of Charge to Mass Ratio can be affected by various factors, such as the precision of the measurement equipment, the strength and uniformity of the magnetic and electric fields, and any external disturbances that may interfere with the experiment. Additionally, the accuracy may also depend on the skill and technique of the experimenter.