Calculate Angles on a Sphere: Quick Question

In summary, the formula for calculating angles on a sphere is the Law of Cosines, which takes into account the curvature of the sphere. It cannot be used for calculating angles on a flat surface. To measure angles on a sphere, a special protractor with markings for degrees and minutes must be used. The same units of measurement can be used for both spheres and flat surfaces. Real-world applications for calculating angles on a sphere include cartography, astronomy, navigation, and understanding global weather patterns.
benk99nenm312
Hi guys. Quick question that i am having trouble with, how do I calculate the angles between 3 points on a sphere? This is not for homework purposes, i am merely curious.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh thank you hah, that's simpler than I thought, that helped a lot. :)

Related to Calculate Angles on a Sphere: Quick Question

1. What is the formula for calculating angles on a sphere?

The formula for calculating angles on a sphere is the Law of Cosines, which states that the cosine of an angle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the included angle.

2. Can I use the same formula for calculating angles on a sphere as I do on a flat surface?

No, the formula for calculating angles on a sphere is different from the formula for calculating angles on a flat surface. The curvature of a sphere affects the angles and requires the use of the Law of Cosines.

3. How do I measure angles on a sphere?

Angles on a sphere can be measured using a protractor specifically designed for spherical measurements. The protractor will have markings for both degrees and minutes, as well as a center point for the sphere's center of curvature.

4. Can I use the same units of measurement for angles on a sphere as I do on a flat surface?

Yes, you can use the same units of measurement for angles on a sphere as on a flat surface. The most commonly used units are degrees, minutes, and seconds, but radians can also be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating angles on a sphere?

Calculating angles on a sphere is used in various fields such as cartography, astronomy, and navigation. It is also important in understanding global weather patterns and for determining the location of points on a globe.