Calculate angle from sine and cosine

In summary, using the given information that sin x = 0.5299 and cos x = 0.8480, it is not possible to calculate the angle without using inverse trigonometric functions. However, there are ways to approximate the value of the angle. Additionally, there are identities that can be used to find the sine of 3 or 4 times the angle.
batterypack
sin x = 0.5299
cos x = 0.8480

Without using inverse cos or inverse sin, is it possible to calculate the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that's what the inverse functions are for! (There may be other ways to approximate the value of the angle but if you want the correct value, you would have to use either inverse sine or inverse cosine.)

Misunderstood this question:

"Suppose you are told that the sine of a certain angle is 0.5299 and the cosine of the same angle is 0.8480. What is the sine of twice this angle. Don't use the trigonomtric functions keys on your calculator to figure this out."

I have the answer, but no idea how to do this.

Found it, sin 2a = 2 (sin a) (cos a)

Can this be generalised further? What if you want to find 3 or 4 times the sine of the angle?

I'll answer the question you asked (which is probably not the question you meant). If you are given the sine of an angle, then 3 times the sine of the angle is 3*sin(a), and 4 times the sine of the angle is 4*sin(a).

My point in saying this was to get you to think about what you're asking.

Assuming you really meant the sine of 3 or 4 times the angle, then yes, there are identities that can be used.

sin(3a) = sin(2a + a) = sin(2a)cos(a) + cos(2a)sin(a) = 2sin(a)cos(a)*cos(a) + (cos^2(a) - sin^2(a))sin(a).

You can break down sin(4a) to sin(2a + 2a) and continue working with that.

Yes, I meant the sine of 3 or 4 times the angle. Thanks.

Related to Calculate angle from sine and cosine

1. What is the difference between sine and cosine?

Sine and cosine are both trigonometric functions used to calculate angles in a right triangle. The main difference is that sine calculates the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, while cosine calculates the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse.

2. How do I use sine and cosine to find an angle?

To find an angle using sine or cosine, you will need to know the lengths of two sides of a right triangle. You can then use the inverse function of sine or cosine (arcsine or arccosine) to find the angle measure.

3. Can I use sine and cosine to find angles in non-right triangles?

No, sine and cosine can only be used to find angles in right triangles. For non-right triangles, you will need to use other trigonometric functions such as tangent or the law of sines or cosines.

4. What is the range of values for sine and cosine?

The range of values for both sine and cosine is -1 to 1. This means that the ratio of any two sides of a right triangle will always be between -1 and 1, regardless of the size of the triangle.

5. How accurate are calculations using sine and cosine?

Calculations using sine and cosine can be extremely accurate if the values used are precise. However, rounding errors or imprecise measurements can lead to slightly inaccurate results.