Calculate (a) the average velocity of the particle

In summary: Anything?In summary, my professor gave us these two problems to try. I just started this physics class and am a little lost on these problems. Any help/ hints would be greatly appreciated.
juicev85
my professor gave us these two problems to try. I just started this physics class and am a little lost on these problems. any help/ hints would be greatly appreciated.

1) A particle moves along the x-axis according to the equation,
x(t)=50t + 10t^2(squared)
where t is measured in seconds and x is in meters. Calculate (a) the average velocity of the particle during the first 3.0 seconds of its motion, (b) the instantaneous velocity of the particle at t = 3 s, (c) the instantaneous acceleration at t = 3 s. (d) Graph the equation and indicate how the answer to (a) and (b) can be obtained from the plot. (e) While you are at it, graph velocity vs. time as well.

2) The starship enterprise returns from warp drive to ordinary space with a forward speed of 50 km/s. To the crew’s shocking surprise, a Klingon ship is 100 km directly ahead, traveling in the same direction at a measly 20 km/s. Without evasive action, the Enterprise will overtake and collide with the Klingons in just slightly over 3.0 s. The Enterprise’s computers react instantly to brake the ship. What acceleration does the Enterprise need to just barely avoid a collision with the Klingon ship? Assume the acceleration is constant.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hints:

[tex]v(t) = \frac{d x(t)}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]a(t) = \frac{d v(t)}{dt}[/tex]

You are given a function of time which describes position of your particle. To find its location at any time t, you just evaluate your function at t. So at t=0 you have x(0)= 50(0)+10(0)2 = 0. You can find its position at any time in the same manner, you should be able to find its position at t=3.

What defining have you been given for average velocity? You know the position at t=0, you know the position at t=3 so you have a change in position and a change in time. You should be able to compute the average velocity.

I am assuming that this is a calculus based course, what is the definition of instantaneous velocity? Apply that to your position function, evaluate at t=3.

What is difficult about plotting functions?

thanks a lot guys I solved the first question, oh and I didn't mean to include the last part of the first question (I can plot the function just fine). What about the second question, the star trek question. any ideas about that one?

Set up 2 separate equations of motion [tex]x_1(t)[/tex] and [tex]x_2(t)[/tex] (i.e. one for each ship), but use the same axis origin. What do you know about [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] at collision?

Related to Calculate (a) the average velocity of the particle

1. What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for calculating average velocity is v = (change in distance) / (change in time), where v represents average velocity, change in distance is the difference between the final and initial positions of the particle, and change in time is the difference between the final and initial times.

2. How do I determine the change in distance for calculating average velocity?

The change in distance can be determined by subtracting the initial position from the final position of the particle. This can be done in terms of either distance or displacement, depending on the context of the problem.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This occurs when the particle is moving in the negative direction, or in the opposite direction of the positive direction that was designated in the problem.

4. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

5. How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity represents the overall velocity of a particle over a given time period, while instantaneous velocity represents the velocity of the particle at a specific moment in time. Average velocity takes into account the change in distance and time, while instantaneous velocity is the slope of the position-time graph at a particular point.