Calc. field gradient of Stern-Gerlach magnet

In summary, the problem is asking for the field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet that would produce a 1 mm separation between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms emitted from an oven at 1500K. Using Gaussian units and the equations F=ma and F_z=μ_z∇B, we can derive an equation for the total deflection of the atoms at the detector. After solving for the average kinetic energy of the atoms, we can calculate the field gradient using the formula ∇B = (8kTsz)/(μz(d1^2+2d1d2)). The potential energy of a dipole μ in a magnetic field is U = -μ⋅B and the force on
Bacat

Homework Statement

From Townsend "Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics", problem 1.1:

"Determine the field gradient of a 50-cm long Stern-Gerlach magnet that would produce a 1 mm separation at the detector between spin-up and spin-down silver atoms that are emitted from an oven at T=1500K. Assume the detector is 50 cm from the magnet. Note...the emitted atoms have average kinetic energy 2kT. The magnetic dipole moment of the silver atom is due to the intrinsic spin of a single electron.

Use Gaussian units.

Homework Equations

[tex]F=ma[/tex]

[tex]F_z=\mu_z \del B[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Deriving an equation:

Assume the electron is moving in the x+ direction towards the detector, and that it is deflected in the [tex]\pm z[/tex] direction. It feels a force [tex]F_z=\mu_z \del B[/tex] for a time [tex]t=\frac{d_1}{v}[/tex] where d1 is the length of the magnet along the x-axis.

Using Newton's laws, we can derive the acceleration, velocity, and thus displacement of the particle:

[tex]a_z=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B}{M}[/tex] where M is the mass of a silver atom.

[tex]v_z = a_z t=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B d_1}{M v}[/tex] where v is the magnitude of the total velocity of the atom and [tex]v_z[/tex] is the velocity in the z-axis direction.

[tex]s_z^\prime=\frac{a_z t^2}{2}=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B d_1^2}{2Mv}[/tex]

[tex]s_z=\frac{v_z d_z}{v}+s_z^\prime=\mu_z (\nabla B) (\frac{d_1^2 + 2d_1 d_2}{2Mv^2})[/tex] where [tex]s_z[/tex] is the total deflection in the z-axis direction at the detector.

Solving the average kinetic energy for velocity...

[tex]2kT=\frac{Mv^2}{2} \implies v^2=\frac{4kT}{M}[/tex]

Now we can solve...

[tex]s_z=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B (d_1^2 + 2d_1 d_2)}{2Mv}=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B (d_1^2 + 2d_1 d_2)}{2M(\frac{4kT}{M})}=\frac{\mu_z \nabla B (d_1^2 + 2d_1 d_2)}{8kT}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \nabla B=\frac{8kT s_z}{u_z (d_1^2 + 2d_1 d_2)}[/tex]

Here is my problem...

I understand that [tex]\nabla B[/tex] means to differentiate B according to the rules of vector calculus, but I'm not sure how to solve this equation for B as a number.

Do I need to integrate both sides? If so, with respect to what? Space? 3D space or just 1D space?

I can plug in all the numbers on the right hand sand, but I'm not sure what to do with it after that.

All help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential energy of a dipole μ in a magnetic field is

[tex]U = - \vec{\mu}\cdot \vec{B}[/tex]

The force on this dipole is

[tex]\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla}U=+\vec{\nabla}(\vec{\mu}\cdot \vec{B})[/tex]

After applying some vector identities and exploiting the symmetry of the design, one ends up with the product of the magnetic moment and field gradient:

[tex]\vec{F}=F_{z}\hat{k}=\mu \frac{\partial B_{z}}{\partial z}[/tex]

As always, μ takes the two allowed magnetic moment values

[tex]\mu=\pm\frac{e\hbar}{2m}[/tex]

Start from there.

Thanks for the response.

I realized this morning that the problem is asking for the "field gradient" which actually is [tex]\nabla B[/tex], so I don't need to isolate B. I have the formula for the answer there and I just need to plug in the values.

Related to Calc. field gradient of Stern-Gerlach magnet

1. What is a Stern-Gerlach magnet?

A Stern-Gerlach magnet is a device used to measure the magnetic moment of a particle, usually an atom or subatomic particle. It consists of two poles, one positive and one negative, that create a strong magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet calculated?

The magnetic field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet is calculated by taking the difference between the magnetic field strength at two different points, divided by the distance between those points. This gives the change in magnetic field strength, or gradient, over a given distance.

3. Why is the calculation of the magnetic field gradient important?

The magnetic field gradient is an important factor in the operation of a Stern-Gerlach magnet because it determines the force exerted on a particle as it passes through the magnet. This force is what allows us to measure the magnetic moment of a particle.

4. How is the magnetic field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet controlled?

The magnetic field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the poles or by changing the strength of the magnetic field. This allows for precise manipulation of the force exerted on particles passing through the magnet.

5. What are some applications of the "Calc. field gradient of Stern-Gerlach magnet"?

The calculation of the magnetic field gradient of a Stern-Gerlach magnet has many applications in the field of quantum mechanics. It is commonly used in experiments to measure the magnetic moments of subatomic particles, as well as in the development of new technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).