Calc Bearing AC from AB & Angle A-C: ddd.mmss

• Thread starter wilson11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bearing
In summary, the question is asking to calculate the bearing AC, given that AB has a bearing of 97° 49' 45" and the anti-clockwise angle from A to C is 71° 6' 12". The answer should be entered in ddd.mmss format, where ddd represents degrees, mm represents minutes, and ss represents seconds. It is unclear if there is a misprint in the given information.
wilson11
If AB has a bearing of following 97° 49' 45" and a anti-clockwise angle from A to C is measured as 71° 6' 12". Calculate the bearing AC (enter as numeric value of ddd.mmss e.g. 100° 20' 30" would be entered as 100.2030).

I am very stuck here and unsure what is really being asked.

Can someone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi wilson11! welcome to pf! :smile:
wilson11 said:
If AB has a bearing of following 97° 49' 45" and a anti-clockwise angle from A to C is measured as 71° 6' 12". Calculate the bearing AC (enter as numeric value of ddd.mmss e.g. 100° 20' 30" would be entered as 100.2030).

B seems to be irrelevant :confused:

perhaps it's a misprint for "… anti-clockwise angle from B to C …" ?

(and btw, no I don't understand the question in your other thread, either)

Related to Calc Bearing AC from AB & Angle A-C: ddd.mmss

1. What is the formula for calculating the bearing AC from AB and angle A-C?

The formula for calculating the bearing AC from AB and angle A-C is: Bearing AC = Bearing AB + Angle A-C. This means that you add the bearing AB (measured clockwise from North) to the angle A-C (measured clockwise from the bearing AB) to get the bearing AC.

2. How do I convert the bearing AC to degrees, minutes, and seconds?

To convert the bearing AC from decimal degrees (ddd.dddd) to degrees, minutes, and seconds (ddd.mmss), you can use the following formula: Degrees = Int(Bearing AC), Minutes = Int((Bearing AC - Degrees) * 60), Seconds = (Bearing AC - Degrees - Minutes/60) * 3600. Note that the Int() function rounds down to the nearest integer.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of bearings?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of bearings, as long as the bearings are measured clockwise from North and the angles are measured clockwise from the bearing AB. This formula is commonly used in navigation and surveying.

4. What units should the angle A-C be in?

The angle A-C should be in decimal degrees (ddd.dddd). If the angle is given in degrees, minutes, and seconds, you can convert it to decimal degrees by dividing the minutes by 60 and adding the result to the degrees, and then dividing the seconds by 3600 and adding the result to the previous result.

5. How accurate is this formula?

This formula is accurate as long as the measurements of the bearing AB and angle A-C are accurate. Small measurement errors can result in slight differences in the calculated bearing AC. It is important to use precise instruments and make accurate measurements for the most accurate results.